Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Squeezing performance out of my aging system

• Please log in to reply

El Jimben

El Jimben

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'm going to buy a new PCI-E/Athlon x2 system in the next month or so but wanted to know how upgradable my current setup is:

Athlon XP1900+ (1.6GHz)
ABIT KT400A-8235
Radeon 9000
1GB RAM (this is however 512MB Samsung PC3200 and 2x 256MB generic PC2700 RAM)

I'm not looking to spend a great deal of cash on this, maybe say £100 or so. Was looking at a Radeon 9800SE 256MB on ebay which was about £30. In terms of upgrading the processor, I'm not certain but I think the highest I could go to is a 2200+ but this is only 200MHz quicker than my current one I believe (?)

I guess my real question is if I get the above processer & GFX card and maybe swap the 2x 256MB sticks for a new 512MB stick of PC3200, how much of a noticable increase in performance would I get?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i would get the other 512Gb or a 1Gb stick if it will take it(check mobo manual you can get it on the net if you dont have it) the 9800 was pretty decent much better than what youve got, CPU wise the athlon xps arent made anymore and they are still in demand with people in your situation so they can go for funny money so i wouldnt try getting something faster, performance should get a fair boost with a new gfx card and some more ram, but if you are getting a new system what does it matter?

El Jimben

El Jimben

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
When I move out, I'll be taking the new PC and I'll leave my old system but I want it to be able to play newer games. I can play FEAR now for instance but it ain't pretty. I know they don't make XP chips anymore but I was again looking on ebay and saw a few 2200+ chips for £20-£30. I think I'll just buy 1.5GB ram and a new GFX card to speed it up abit.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
I agree, one gig of DDR400 or DDR333, and the 9800SE will be quite nice. The processor change wont make that much of a diff, i have found that RAM and GFX quite often make a bigger difference when your talking bang for buck.