Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems Manually Adding Network Connection

• Please log in to reply

BiggerMonkey

BiggerMonkey

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
My computer crashed 2 days ago, when it restarted all of the Network Connections were deleted. I tried using the Network Connection Wizard and when it is at the last stage of modifying the computer for networked connections it always (4+ times) says unsuccuessful and asks me to restart anyway. Even after the restarts I still can't connect to the internet.

My computer and my wireless USB software detects my Wireless USB connection but I can't connect to the internet. I am using a Microsoft Wireless USB modem with a Microsoft Wireless base station. 2 other computers are on the wireless network and functioning fine, and mine was functioning fine before it crashed.

Is there any way I can manually add the wireless network connection to my folder so I can connect to the internet again? The wizard simply does not work for me.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what do you mean by crashed? any idea what caused it?

can you set up the connection in safe mode?

BiggerMonkey

BiggerMonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, I am thinking the crash was caused by a CPU overheat. After the problem the computer would restart and then shut down again after 3 mins (the first time), then like 10 seconds each time thereafter. After opening 'er up and cleaning the heatsink and fan (both looked pretty clogged/dirty) I restarted it and it will stay on fine and everything but just won't connect to the internet and the Network Connections folder was empty.

Safe Mode won't let me add a connection either, there just isn't an option or way (that I can find) other than the wizard (which doesn't work for me) to add a new connection. Hope that helps, thanks for being so prompt!

BiggerMonkey

BiggerMonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Here is something else, when I check the Computer Options in Microsoft Broadband Utility it shows my wireless card as being my Network Adapter. It also shows that its DHCP, but the addresses for IP, subnest mask and default gateways are all 0.0.0.0 . I don't know how to make it detect those values without filling them in, and it won't let me fill them in. Yet it still detects the network and everything, but won't connect because I don't have any network connections. Hope that helps too

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all and report the results

also try ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

BiggerMonkey

BiggerMonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Actually, I just tried to reboot my computer in safe mode, but instead of using the F keys I used msconfig and now my computer wont boot at all. It starts up and I hear the fans running and the CPU but it wont display and the hard disks wont spin. I think it's done. I don't know.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sound's like something wrong happened...

so absolutley nothing comes up on the screen? no bios no nothin?

do the hd lights blink?

BiggerMonkey

BiggerMonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, I don't know what the deal is, let me give you someupdates. Since the crash to nothing when I tried to boot to safe mode I have since got it to turn on and boot to the OS and gotten into safe mode. The thing is now sometimes it is being iffy about loading up windows.

The most recent problem is back at the boot stage, where I get MoBo beeps that mean

This tone is due to a bad component in your system.

1. The memory stick could be damaged or bad.

2. The power supply could be damaged or bad.

3. The data in the BIOS chip is corrupted, Try reseting the CMOS with JP5 or by removing the CMOS battery for 20mins.
""(from Soyo)

I tried resetting the CMOS by removing the battery overnight last night, only to replace it and power up to the same beeps. I doubt it is the power supply since I recently replaced it and it is 50w over what my MoBo needs/reqs, I guess my next step is just to take out the memory and try and see if any of the sticks are damaged by adding them 1 by 1 until I get a working combination.

Could the problem also be maybe a HD failure? MoBo corruption? I am so confused because things keep on going wrong. At this point I just want to get my personal computer functioning again, even at the expense of all my data. Can I just replace the memory or HD or MoBo and just keep on truckin'?

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start with your memory troubleshooting as you said...and it very well still could be your PSU...it could be damaged or still underpowered...

BiggerMonkey

BiggerMonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Well, with no memory in I still get one long continuous beep, which is

This could happen if:

1. The Power supply is damaged or bad.

2. The BIOS is corrupted. Try resetting the CMOS using JP5 jumper on the motherboard or remove the battery from the motherboard for 10 seconds.

At this point the first thing to try is a different Power Supply to see if the results are any better.
If the same problem happens with the new power supply, you may need to send the BIOS Chip to SOYO for reprogramming.

I am guessing its the power supply, I guess I just got a bad apple, it seems like I just bought it less than a year ago or about a year ago. It powers up and fans spin and everything but should I just go ahead and go get another power supply and switch it out to see if it works, then go from there?

Would the PS be shorting out, working every once and a while and then not later? What would explain the sporadic computer activity and booting/not-booting?

The problem is once I even get this baby on/working again I still have a whole new world of windows junk to work through, I think I may just do a clean install once i get it working.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...generally...the one long beep means a ram issue (i.e. *beeeeeeeeep* you j ust took out all my ram goober) so i would continue on with the adding a stick and see what happens deal.....but yeah..the powersupply could be shorting which would cause all kinds of problems within windows (as would bad ram)

BiggerMonkey

BiggerMonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yup, you were exactly right again, I just put in a single stick and booted it up (as well as clearing the J5 jumper) and it booted up (so far to CMOS/BIOS setup) fine so far. The thing is, I am almost afraid to let it load to windows because I am afraid something will go wrong before I can reinstall it. SHould I set my BIOS settings to read my CD drive as a boot drive first and put my windows cd in there? Or just let it boot to normal windows and just see if I can access the CD from there?

Basically, should I just let it load like normal or should I change any BIOS settings to aid in the installation of windows later?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'd say try to boot into windows...unless you're wanting to format and start over from scratch...there's not much you'll be able to do by booting off the cd...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
actually...befor booting into windows...try all of your ram one at a time..not just the one piece...

BiggerMonkey

BiggerMonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Trial 1 - 256 mb stick - boot succesful, hung and stuck at windows load screen for 10+ minutes before reboot.

Trial 2 - 2nd 256 mb stick - Power up, no beeps, no visual output, CPU fan spinning, CD/HDD lights up/spins

Trial 3 - 3rd 256 mb stick - Same as 2nd

Trial 4 - 1st stick (working one) Power up, no boot, same as trials 2,3

??? It is like it's something different every time.