Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP CD vs Recovery Discs

• Please log in to reply

kalyhan

kalyhan

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I just bought a new Compaq SR1720NX - and just like my last one three years ago, Compaq refuses to include the original operating system CD's. They want you to make (or purchase) recovery discs. There was one time with my old pc where I needed to re-install Windows and I didn't have it. Microsoft of course said to ensure I always get the CD's from the PC manufacturer.

My question - Do I really need the originals? Why do I feel cheated without the originals? Dell includes
the original Windows CD's.

Also - if there are any recommendations as to what I can disable in the new PC, please let me know
(example - do I really need the Compaq Connections Agent running?). Everything was pre-loaded.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
last i checked dell doesn't send the original cds...they do send a recovery disk...or the machine has a built in recovery partition....

as long as you recieve (or make) the system recovery disk..you don't need the original OS disk... you machine...not sure on your model..may have a recovery partition and therefore not need the disk..check the manual for disaster recovery steps

kalyhan

kalyhan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for your reply.

I believe I do have a recovery partition. So, in the event I get a virus or some major issues, what protects the recovery partition?

I will make the recovery CD's in any event.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
deffinitely make the cd...but...the recovery partition is not only a seperate partition from your main partition...but it's marked as inactive and is usually in a different format than your main partition..therefore your windows install can't even see it to modify it..thus keeping virii

kalyhan

kalyhan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK. Thanks again for your assistance!