Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building New Pc From Ground Up!

• Please log in to reply

ATG

ATG

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello all, (sorry posted in wrong thread before)

This is my 1st time to this site and so far I have come across some really great information.

I am in the proces of building a new pc from the ground up. However after reading this post I am a bit worried about some of the hardware I picked out.

This is what I have picked out so far:

Processor: AMD ATHLON 64 FX57 SAN DIEGO 1GHZ FSB 1MB L2 CACHE 939 PIN
Motherboard: ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE
Memory: CORSAIR XMS-3500LL PRO (TW1NX2048-3500LLPRO) TWO 1 GIG CHIPS
Power supply: Not %100 sure about this yet, but might go with something like ENERMAX 600W
Still deciding on the hard dirve, but will probaly be a 10,000 rpm 74gig serial ata 2 Compatible
Monitor: DELL 24INCH FLAT PANLE DESK TOP MAX RES 1900X1200 (is a wide screen)
Case: have not picked one out yet (and recommendations are welcome
Video card:ASUS EN7800GT DUAL 512 7800GT GDDR3 EXPRESS X16 (might run two of these, have not decided)

THAT IS IT FOR NOW

But!!! now I am worried about the mother board I picked out after this post. Granted the one I picked out is a diffrent model than this one, but it is still made by same company. Should I be worried about the mother board I picked out????

Also should I be worried about the memory I picked out as well (which is very expensive memory)???

Are there better power supplies out there (have seen a few post not in favor of the Enermax power supplies)

Plus the video card I have picked out I am not %100 sure about...because some of the reviews have not been great. Should I be worried about the video card....this would be my 1st gforce video card (normaly have always used ATI).

Any feedback on this adventure would help....

Thanks again ATG

Edited by ATG, 06 February 2006 - 07:50 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looks good, i wouldnt bother with 10.000 rpm drives complete waste of money performance isnt any better than the newer 7200 rpm sataII drives. Nvidia are fine, ATI is better in my opinion this generation(X1900XT is alot better than the 7800 by a country mile and the x1800s are on par with them and they are incredibly cheap over here now the 1900s are out) but here there is also the added insentive of price ATI average out a hundred pounds cheaper than the nearest Nvidia competitor most of the time, thats not so in the states unfortunatley.

Memory i like its on my shopping list for my next upgrade(rebuild) whenever that may be, and cpu is good just get a good cooler so you can overclock, case anything antec or coolermaster, lian li if you have the dosh or i like the akasa eclipse(roomy good layout) lots of good cases about.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Not bad at all. Memory is fine and power supply should work fine. I would also recommend you get good cooling as well, I have heard that an FX-57 without good cooling is like an oven. This is a great system especially for gaming. If you need help with caase recccomendations I too would reccomend teh Akasa Eclipse. If you want style or quiet though, I will tell you a few.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Wow thanks for the good advice so far!!!

This is exactly what I am looking for.

I have always been a ATI user..and normaly loved them (even though I upgraded about a year or so ago from the ATI9800 pro 256, to the AIW ATI x800xt and noticed almost no diffrence at all)

As for over clocking...I have no desire to over clock......I messed around with it on my 1st system and just did not see the point in taken that kind of risk with a expensive processor or motherboard.

So if I am not going to be over clocking this system should I still be worried about cooling???

I am also wondering if 2gig of memory is enough???

I would love a few recommendations on towers!!! I have only ever bought one tower and had it for years. But I know with this new system I will need a nice new tower. I don't want anything real loud.....I would love for it to have great cooling ability and have room.....plus a little show would be nice as well..... :tazz:

A friend of mine has been trying to bang it into my head that I HAVE to go with the 10,000 rpm hardrives since they are so much faster than the 7200rpm ones with serial ata. (Wow he is going crazy swearing that the 10,000rpm is much faster and that he noticed a big diffrence from his 7200rpm)

Is this realy ture???

Update: ok so far I have been re-looking at the ATI cards (the x1900xt 512mb).

not sure what the diffrence between these two are..maybe I am just missing something.
ATI 100-435801 Radeon X1900XT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video
and this one
ATI 100-435805 Radeon X1900XTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video

The only real diffrence I have seen so far is the top one has 625MHz vs the bottem one who has 650MHz and one has composite out and the other does not. But the prices are diffrent the top one is about $100 cheaper. why is this, what am I missing????

Edited by ATG, 02 February 2006 - 03:31 PM.

mellow_tripper

mellow_tripper

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
2 Gig of Crosair should be well enough to run anything, unless your a major major multi tasker, not talkong Photoshop and IM, as for a case my best thoughts would be a Antec Performance I P180, here's a link they are heavy mind you but doesn't sound like your building a labtop. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129154

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

2 Gig of Crosair should be well enough to run anything, unless your a major major multi tasker, not talkong Photoshop and IM, as for a case my best thoughts would be a Antec Performance I P180, here's a link they are heavy mind you but doesn't sound like your building a labtop. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129154

Thanks a bunch for the link to the case. That one looks like it would work just fine.......any other thoughts on the rest of the items I have chosen???

Getting a little worried about the motherboard i have picked out....have started to look at Abit, Gigabite ect....as well. Am also starting to get a little unsure about the video card....the Nvidia I picked out is a great high end video card......but have been comparing it to the ATI 1900 series. Both get great reviews depending on which site you look at and the ATI is a lot cheaper (even though price does not matter).

ATG

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The ATI 1900 series is way ahead of the 7800s in terms of performance and shares the superior image quality if the x1000 series(you cant really see to much difference but it becomes more important if you want to do image editing to have the much better realistic colours but not many people need it nice to have though.

The XTX is the bleeding edge card its faster has some more advanced features not huge difference but its fast, very fast.

The 10000rpm drives were faster when they were released but the new 7200rpm drives are faster, the samsung spinpoint is a good one that has been reviewed alot, it beat the raptors in game load times by several seconds and alot of the new 7200rpm drives offer the same kind of performance, they are also cheaper and more reliable, for the same price as 10 000rpm drive in the biggest size(135Gb) you can get a terabyte of 7200rpm drives, personally ild rather have the terabyte of space ive allready filled my 200Gb drive several times over.

RAM wise 2Gb is really the practical limit many boards dont like you using all the slots in dual channel mode it can drop the speed down to cope with it which you dont want, 4Gb also costs a fortune and is a little extravagent i would get a really good set of low latency two Gb memory.

Asus dont have the best track record with AMD boards i would personally go with MSI, ABIT or DFI for a system like that.

Also youve picked an FX-57 which is good but tis a single core for the same money here you can get a 4800+ x2 which is plenty fast single core performance to handle anything and its dual core as well.

P180 is a good case, Antec is a good company, i would aslo check out coolermaster and if you want to be fancy lian li(they are like the gucci or prada of computer cases).

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Wow a lot of great feedback there....thanks

I have been reading a lot about the 10,000rpm vs the 7200rpm and almost all of the stuff I have read say basicly the same thing you just said. You can buy a nice 7200rpm sata 3.0gb 16mb and run faster than a 10,000rpm stata 1.5 8mb........and the 7200 drives seem to get better reviews when it comes to noise.

So I diffrently think I have decided to go with something like Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 st3808110AS 80Gig sata 3.0GB

Will look into a new mob via Abit or Msi ect....do you have a recommendation on one of those that is close to the Asus board I was thinking about getting.

I agree %100 on the memory....staying with just 2Gig.....Corsair xms-3500ll pro (got really nice reviews)

As far as the processor..the only problem I have with getting a 2-core vs a single core is I don't really have a need for a duel core (mainly builing this system for gaming only) have other home system used for personal. Would it still be worth it to go with a duel core ?????

As far as the video card goes.......I have decided to stick with Ati and go with there new X1900xt....should be smoking with this new processor and memory!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Man you just saved me some good money.......Guess i owe you a beer.....ATG

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the Asus ones biggest advantage was the two PCI-Ex16 slots but if you are going with the uber ATI card then you dont need sli si could save the dosh and get the MSI platinum or the Abit fatality both excellent mobos.

There isnt many games that use dual creo now but most of the new one that started development since the beginning of dual cores are going to support it, a couple of games do allready although not as well as they might, dual core is the way its going nowadays and will help the system last longer and the speed single core on the dual core at the same price as the FX-57 is still very good(equvalent to a 4000+ san diego core and theres two of them). So more than sufficeint speed especially with that amount of ram and that gfx card, cheaper to over here so thats good enough reason for me.

Also for your HD its often better to get larger as the difference usually isnt alot between an 80 and a 200 the cheapest drive proces are at the 200 to 250Gb size you get the most Gb for the money usually the difference is about 20 quid.

Lol, next time im in Texas ill take you up on that.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well I have always used ATI cards in the past and never had any real trouble with them.....so I will stick with the ATI this time as well....thanks for the recommendation.

As for HD I will check the price diffrence for a 80Gig vs a 200 or 250Gig......Thanks again for that as well

I will also look into price diffrence on the fx-57 vs the duel core's.........is the 4000+ san diego the equiv of the fx-57???

I am hopeing with this new system that I am putting together I will be able to push any game to its max.... :)

Will also take a look at the other mob's you suggested.....

now I owe you 2 beers.........kinda cold here right now so might want to wait a month or two..... :tazz:

ATG

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I would go for the amd x2 4800+ because you get 2 cores, it would last longer. Its $185 cheaper than the fx 57 would be. You can run the games using one of the cores by going into task manager right click the program/game under applications, goto process, then right click again and goto set affinity. Then choose the cpu you want it to run on.

The dual cores are much more advanced. As you can have 2 huge programs going at the same time. You can put one program on one core and the other on the other core by choosing the affinity like I said above.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its at 2.4Ghz and the FX57 is at 2.8Ghz the Fx 57 is faster single core, but with that gfx card i could run any game at full so the cpu isnt the biggest factor for you, and at 2.4Ghz with the architecture advances and the second core the X2 is the better choice, and its cheaper by $185.

Im Scottish one thing i dont mind its cold, and last time i was in texas it was summer and i got cooked, only ever been hotter when i went to palm springs also in summer. Cold is good.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well cold to us down here in gold ol' Texas is (at least in south Tx) 50 and below.......today is about 65 or so and seems to cold...

I have been looking at those mob's you recommended and came across one thing I never thought of.....when picked or sorting them out do I need to be worried about what North bridge it has exp: ATI, Nvidia, SiS, uli, via ect......if I am going with a ATI gfx card do I need to or should I pick a board that has a ATI supported North Bridge????

Still have not had a chance to check out the other processor yet...getting to that next

Update: ok was checking out the processor yall where suggesting..but one problem...the only 4000+ san diego I could find on newegg was AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor - Retail and this one only goes for a little over $300 so this can not be the same as the fx-57.

the only ones I see that are AMD and dual core are Toledo or Manchester???? does this make a diffrence and these are not 4000+ they range 3800, 4200, 4600, 4800

Edited by ATG, 06 February 2006 - 02:29 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its the 4800+ X2 you are after, this one http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103544 .

What i said was its single core were equivalent to a 4000+ san diego, but obviously its got two cores so its alot faster than the 4000+ and has a rating higher because of that. Its Toledo core its basically two slightly modified san diego cores on one chip.

Mobo chipset is irrelaent all the manufacturers have to abide by the same standards for PCI-E so its all interchangable, ATI cards actually run better on NF4 mobos as the NF4 is an excellent chipset, one of the best to come out for years actually.

Edited by warriorscot, 06 February 2006 - 02:44 PM.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Cool have checked out the one you suggested and it looks nice.

Have a friend (same one that is stuck on 10,000rpm HD) who said I am a fool for not changing over to a P4 system because the P4 mob's support a lot faster ram than the AMD mob's. I did look into this and P4 does have much faster memory than AMD.

Is the memory that much faster (p4 supported memory up to 1k Mhz compared to AMD's pc3200 400Mhz???

Would it really make that much diffrence if I had the P4 memory rather than AMD supported memory??

And if so why in the heck is AMD so far behind the curve?? PC3200 memory has been out for years, why has AMD not caught up to P4??