Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building New Pc From Ground Up!

• Please log in to reply

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Cool have checked out the one you suggested and it looks nice.
Have a friend (same one that is stuck on 10,000rpm HD) who said I am a fool for not changing over to a P4 system because the P4 mob's support a lot faster ram than the AMD mob's. I did look into this and P4 does have much faster memory than AMD.

Is the memory that much faster (p4 supported memory up to 1k Mhz compared to AMD's pc3200 400Mhz???

Would it really make that much diffrence if I had the P4 memory rather than AMD supported memory??

And if so why in the heck is AMD so far behind the curve?? PC3200 memory has been out for years, why has AMD not caught up to P4??

Thats the one I suggested all along for you. Get that processor.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Speed has almost nothing to do with ram performance for alot of applications its low latency over speed, And at 400Mhz ram timings are alot better. It all depends on your understanding of how ram works and what you want the pc for.

In terms of games AMD is better and so is DDR as games prefer the low latencies to the higher speed.

Dont get a P4 your friend obviously has no clue about current hardware and how it operates, p4s are way behind AMD in terms of technology and performance there heat output is very high and while the improved multi tasking on single cores are good for some people there dual core products are utter guff, and in terms of gaming they are no where near as good as AMDs and they are much much more expensive for what you get. AMD is ahead of intel in terms of memory because they dont need to use DDR2 like intel as they have a super efficeint Memory controller on the chip which when combined with low latency ram is the kind of memory games love not the high latency ddr2. IOf youre a gamer there is no question allways AMD. For high end video editing and encoding it becomes more balanced with intel being able to capitilise on the hyperthreading and the fact that it doesnt need the low latencies. And in a new system you want dual core and Intel dual core is not only incredibly expensive but absolutley abismal.

So with the p4 memory you would get hit threee times once in the wallet, and twice in performance.

Edited by warriorscot, 07 February 2006 - 12:35 PM.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the info on the P4. I have always used AMD processors and have always heard that AMD was leaps and bounds ahead of P4's. Mainly I have always heard that you get more bang for your buck with a AMD.

I wanted to let you know as well that my knowldge is growing by a amazing amount over the past week or so due to a lot of the info you have provided and the links that yall have provided for me to read up on.

You mentioned low lantecy for memory......what is a ideal lantecy speed I should be looking for in terms of memory???

The memory that I think I plan to buy is: Corsair xms-3500ll pro (2 one GB chips)....this chip has a
Cas Latency of 2. Is this good or can it be better???

Thanks again for all the input.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats pretty much as good as it gets, if you lower the speed to PC3200 which it will do automatically when you put it in then it will have lower timings than that, i think a CAS of 1.5 is as low as you can possibly get. That ram has as good timings as your gonna get.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ok so from what I can tell so far (and correct me if I am wrong).

My best bet is to go with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 1GHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core . Because I will be able to grow into this system game wise......and it would be a much better system for multi-tasking and I still get the same speed as the FX-57?

And for the video card My best bet is: ATI 100-435805 Radeon X1900XTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video . Which is my personal fav

Memory 2GB: Corsair xms-3500ll pro

Power supply: Enermax EG851ax 660w ???

Case/tower: COOLER MASTER Stacker 810 RC-810-SSN1 Silver/ Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - . What do you think about ths case??? Do I need to be worried about the fan size?? How can I make sure that this case will fit everything in it??

MOB: Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 250GB7200rpm 8mb cache sata 3.0GB

Dell: 24inc Flat panle montior max res 1900x1200

Have I forgot anything so far????

What do you think about those items I have selected???

Thanks so much for all your help so far!!!

ATG

Edited by ATG, 07 February 2006 - 02:02 PM.

Burton1

Burton1

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
I am curious, is your computer going to be for buisness, coding, or gaming, or just all around. Also what is your budget? Because if you would like i could build you a computer post the specs and price. Right now i am running off of a Dell XPS gen 5. I believe it is an amazing gaming computer and i love it.

Edited by Burton1, 07 February 2006 - 02:04 PM.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

I am curious, is your computer going to be for buisness, coding, or gaming, or just all around. Also what is your budget? Because if you would like i could build you a computer post the specs and price. Right now i am running off of a Dell XPS gen 5. I believe it is an amazing gaming computer and i love it.

The system is being built for mainly on line gaming. I will be doing some (very little) business use with it as well.

How much would charge to build this system ???

Burton1

Burton1

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

The system is being built for mainly on line gaming. I will be doing some (very little) business use with it as well.
How much would charge to build this system ???

Would you happen to be talking about my system? Or are you talking about the system that i would build you?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Buying a custom pc, picking out the parts and putting it together yourself you will end up saving yourself anywhere from $300+ dollars could be up to $600 even more.. You will also get all high quality parts with the custom pc you pick out and still save money. Dell is an "Okay" pc for a business user or someone that doesnt know much about computers and wants a known manufacturer to put it together for them. At dell they make you think you will be getting a good deal but guess what???? You are not.. Yes I am serious, I have built and or configured faster and more powerful computers with all high quality parts and it still comes out to be cheaper than a dell would be. "This is 100% positive every time if you pick out the parts yourself and put it together yourself" You save all the installation fees, profit and what not... You cant comare an entry level XPS gaming computer they call it to the pc that atg wants configured because the entry is what it says. You only get 512mb ram,x300se video card which is crap by the way and really slow, 80gb harddrive, etc there is plenty more also..

Dell also uses really cheap motherboards and i am not exaggerating on it they cost like $40 for them to make or buy lol..

Now, the Dell XPS 600 series is the only good series. They have 2 xps 600's. The Hard Core Gaming and the
Extreme Gaming. The hard core gaming starts at 1,799 you get a monitor but the memory is still only 1gb for an $1800 machine with the regular 6800 nvidia video card... That is a rip off. Ya you can choose a faster video card but if you go up to the 7800gtx, the price then goes up to $2079. That is a rip off for what you are getting from dell...

The Extreme Gaming starts at $4,329. It has dual video cards and 2gb of ram but I can build a pc faster than it for $2900-$3000 with a monitor... all high top quality parts... 2 7800gtx's ....xfi sound card... Might be able to build it a hundred dollars or more less also that what I posted.

Im just giving you an example. Dont buy a Dell unless you dont know how to build a pc or dont know of anyone to put it together for you at a decent price.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Would you happen to be talking about my system? Or are you talking about the system that i would build you?

Hummm...some how things got mixed up I think......I am not building a Dell Pc and would never pay there crazy price's they charge.

The pc that I listed above is going to be bought and put together by my self (and of course a friend or two's help)....the only thing that will be Dell out of what I listed above was the monitor.......I do love Dell monitors and have always had one...currently have there 21" flat panel desk top monitor and love it.

I thought you where just asking me if you could build this same system for me...I was just wondering if you did about how much would it cost??

Thats all

Edited by ATG, 07 February 2006 - 02:50 PM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Read what I posted above atg. Dont get a Dell.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dell monitors are ok though, mostly because dell dont actually make them, they are just somone elses monitors bought and rebranded, pretty much, you could proabbly find an identical monitor or a better one for less or the same price, dell are like apple really allright but chrage far to much for what you get, unless its there really really cheap systems those are good from dell but im meaning the sub 500 quid ones.

You would have to be off your nut to buy an XPS desktop laptop i would consider but not the Desktop, its the only "high end gaming" rig to use intel cpus kinda says something.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Dell monitors are ok though, mostly because dell dont actually make them, they are just somone elses monitors bought and rebranded, pretty much, you could proabbly find an identical monitor or a better one for less or the same price, dell are like apple really allright but chrage far to much for what you get, unless its there really really cheap systems those are good from dell but im meaning the sub 500 quid ones.

You would have to be off your nut to buy an XPS desktop laptop i would consider but not the Desktop, its the only "high end gaming" rig to use intel cpus kinda says something.

Humm...I have owned two diffrent Dell monitors and they have always seems to work great for me. I hvae never had any trouble from them. I currently have a 21" flat desk top which I got close to 2yrs ago. My best friend works for Dell and got a really good deal on this 21". He got it for $700....back when it would cost you probaly close to $1200 new.....the only reason I really got it was because of the deal he got.

The new monitor I was planning on getting is a DELL
UltraSharp 2405FPW 24-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand and 3-Year Warranty the price is $879 even though I have seen it for cheapr on other sites.

Do you have another brand that you would recommend that is high quality and a 24" ????

Also warriorscot....what do you think about the hardware that I listed above so far???

Burton1

Burton1

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Before you start riping on dell search their XPS Renegade. Its amazing just go check it out :tazz:.

Here they are
http://accessories.u...s&~topic=gaming

Go to the left a little down and click on the fire computer..

Specs

Name XPS 600 Renegade

Quad Nvidia SLi- Dual 1 gig NVIDIA Geforce 7800 graphics card

Xp Pro

Nvidia NFORCE 4 Sli x16

Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Processer HT OVERCLOCKED at 4.26 GHZ

2Gb Dual channel Ram 667 MHZ

Custom Paint Job

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Read what I posted above atg. Dont get a Dell.

Well I guess I am still lost on this one. Are you saying don't get a Dell monitor?? or are you saying to get a whole Dell PC.....if you are talking about the PC I agree and I would never buy a store put to gether pc any ways.

My very 1st pc as a gateway...(nothing more than a very expensive paperweight)...from that point on I have always bought all my parts from the net and had them shipped to me and put the system together with help of friends.

What do you think about the hardware that I have picked out so far??

Thanks