Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox Securty

• Please log in to reply

orssi

orssi

• Pip
  • 9 posts
:tazz: I have recently downloaded firefox as a secondary search engine, my default is IE. I want to beef up my online security with freeware for Firefox. I have Zone Alarm on my default search engine a very good product. Does anyone have any suggestions. my operating system is Windows XP. best Orssi

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Best security precaution you can do is just don't use Internet Explorer unless absolutely necessary (Windows Updates, etc) and if you must use IE, don't click Yes on every single prompt that comes up, at least without reading it first.

orssi

orssi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks Neil Jones I know their are security defects with IE that's why I beefed up my security on it don't want those viruses and spyware etc invaiding my computer which is why I downloaded Firefox and I am wondering if there are any??? security holes that I need to know about that I can fill with some neat freeware. Best Orssi

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
First - FireFox has just as many security holes as IE, possibly even more. The big thing that secures FF more than IE is that FF doesnt allow activex.

That being said, I use adblock, adblock filterset.g and NoScript extensions with firefox. However I dont use FF because of any security reasons, I use it because it like it. I like tabs, I like the built-in search, I like the extensions, I like the skins, and I like the speed.

ScHwErV :tazz:

orssi

orssi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks ScHwErV, really as many that dissapoints me I was told that Firefox is superior to Internet Explorer as you say in your reply in that it doesn't use active X. I somehow thought it was superior all round
Yeh, like FF for the same reasons. Adblock filterset.g, eh,yes I've checked it out and shall be downloading adblock as soon as I have finished this reply. but I'm still searching I'm tired of virus spys and crap coming into my computer I want my security. I have all they suggest from Geeks To Go, after losing my harddrive a month ago.

Best Orssi :tazz:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you use a firewall and anti virus protection? If they are reputable, enabled and up to date, and you are sensible with your clicking, you will be just as "safe" with either browser. You are correct, prevention is better than the cure. Use Spybot and AdAware periodically to monitor your system.

If you choose to use IE, here are recommended security settings:
http://www.helpwithw.../surf-safe.html

Johanna

orssi

orssi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Johanna,
Yes I have installed everything from this link How to secure your PC at Geeks To Go, excellent firewall Zone Alarm, and I bought MaCafee Virus protection a while back, so I have all the stuff to secure my PC plus all the suggestions and recomendations from this my original post within this forum including yours which I also find extremley helpful Thank you. I installed all the security add ons in Firefox and I feel a lot more confident and secure at browsing the web now. Jasons Toolbox is amazing. Best Orssi

Edited by orssi, 07 February 2006 - 01:17 PM.