Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet explorer 6 msvcrt.dll error

• Please log in to reply

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi again folks. I'm back to the most helpfull site for computer problems on the net!!

Here we go. My office manager is running Windows 98 and when going to some web pages (always on msn.com) IE6 has an error and shuts down. When i view the error details i foud this information:

AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: msvcrt.dll
ModVer: 6.1.8345.0 Offset: 0001654c

some other sites showed a newer AppVer but i could not find one. Also a post (again on another site) had me run regsvr32 urlmon.dll to reregister the urlmon.dll (why not the msvcrt.dll?) it said it succeded but that did not help.

no sure if you have ever heard of Belarc Advisor but it runs down your PC contents. Attached is the Current Profile of the problem computer. Attached File  Belarc_Advisor_Current_Profile.htm   40.71KB   302 downloads

Thanks for all your expert help!!

Stalker Jay

Advertisements

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
This might help

download

Try replacing your msvcrt

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
DeSade,

Thanks for the quick responce!

I attempted to unzip the file to the windows/system directory as the read me file included with the download instructed. When i did this winzip had an error saying the file was being used. so i unzipped it to a folder on the desktop and dried to drag and drop into the system folder and again it said it was being used by windows. So any sugesstions would be great!

Stalker

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
You have 2 options

The easiest but least likely to work is this

ctrl-alt-del/
click on the processes tab/
if its in there highlight it/
shut it down/
then move the replacement in

if this doesn't work then reboot into safe mode/
and then move the replacement file.

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
The problem computer is Windows 98 so there is no processes tab when you ctl-alt-del. When i booted into safe mode the same error came up. Could i delete the file in the system folder then replace it or would that screw something up?

Thanks again!

Stalker

Dr. Jae

Dr. Jae

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This problem is limited to certain various web pages.

As a temporary fix you will be able to go to 'start'>'run' and in the dialog box type 'C:'... This will bring you to a "bare-bone" style explorer where you will be able to navigate though the internet by typing in the web page address in the address bar. However - this is no fix. In order to fix this problem you will have to re-install the copy of internet explorer that came with windows, you can find this on your Windows 98 CD.

You may notice this file in several places on the computer. Replacing these files with ones off the internet will not fix this issue, this problem is a conflict between 2 of internet explorers [we hope] libraries, and sorting these out can be a real pain in the ..

To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Msvcrt.dll from your original Windows CD to the Windows\System folder. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Insert a Windows 98 Startup disk, and then restart your computer to a command prompt. Select Start computer with CD-ROM support.
2. Record the drive letter assigned to the CD-ROM drive. For example, E:.
3. Insert the Windows 98 CD into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
4. At the command prompt, type C:, and then press ENTER.
5. Type CD\Windows\System, and then press ENTER.
6. Type Rename msvcrt.dll msvcrt.old, and then press ENTER.
7. Type A:, and then press ENTER.
8. Type Ext, and then press ENTER.
9. At the Please enter the path to the Windows CAB files (a:) prompt, type drive:\win98 (where drive is the drive letter that you recorded in step 18), and then press ENTER. For example:
E:\win98 <ENTER>
NOTE: If you have an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) installation of Windows, the CAB files may also be located in the following folder:
C:\WINDOWS\Options\Cabs
10. At the Please enter the name(s) of the files(s) you want to extract prompt, type Msvcrt.dll, and then press ENTER.
11. At the Please enter the path to extract to ("Enter" for current directory) prompt, type C:\Windows\System, and then press ENTER.
12. At the Is this okay? (y/n) prompt, type Y, and then press ENTER. The file is extracted.
13. Remove the Windows 98 Startup disk, and then restart the computer.

This issue should be solved by now, but if not.. We are in trouble.. Post on here if you need more help with that,.. I have more tricks to try.

-- 'Do you by chance have Spanish Menus and Dialogs for Internet Explorer 6' installed?

Try it and please post the results.

Good Luck. :)

Dr. Jae

Edited by Dr. Jae, 14 February 2006 - 09:54 PM.

StalkerJay

StalkerJay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks Dr. Jae,

Thanks for the post but my boss got sick of hearing the office manager complian about not having the internet so he reformated and installed windows 2000.

I'm sure i'll be back with another problem that i know you guys will have the answer for, the best free computer help on the web! GeeksToGo.com!!!

Thanks a BUNCH

Stalker Jay