Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browser bar

• Please log in to reply

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi Guys,
I used to have my website bar just above the main page. Now it has dissapeared altogether. I cannot access a website unless I go to my Favourites to get there. I also have no where to paste in a website address. Personally, I think it might be an Explorer problem, but I do download the updates regularly.

Any ideas please.

Cheers

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Update IE:
Repair Internet Explorer 6

A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
Click the Search button.
In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 318378 How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

Update XP
We can definitely help you, but first you need to help us. please update windows by going to the microsoft site, www.microsoft.com. Inorder to download the updates you will need to be running IE.

also i know that if i dont say it now one of my collegues will, here in the inernet and browsers fourm, whenever someone complains of a problem in IE it is almost garunteed one of the helpers will suggest the user should switch to firefox. and so i whould like to suggest that to you. firefox is more secure, and faster. and FREE. but if you whould like to stick with IE, i totaly understand.

After you have done all that please post back if you are still having problems. :tazz:

hope this is helpful!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello, yes firefox is the best alternative browser however the user is still going to need IE if he doesn't have www.windowsupdates.com under his favorits, or else he could type it into a word document and use it as a hyperlink. However getting back to the problem, Mile runner you need to know that if there is a problem with internet explorer it could be a setting that might ahve been changed and might not always be a error in the code due to spyware.

Luckyjfl the information that Mile Runner has give to you is good if the following doesn't work for you. I personnaly believe that in your case a setting that has been changed, you can change it back by clicking on the baige (or around the area where you address bar once was and then a selection should apear). Please click on address bar if it doesn't have a check mark besides it. Hopefully this information will help ya out as it is less complicated :tazz:
Thanx
James

edit: If you don't know what i mean i can do a screen shot for you to help you out.

Edited by james_8970, 02 February 2006 - 06:11 PM.

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
sorry about that james, but the user should still get the updates if possible.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
yes updates are always the best idea. However i was refurring to jumping to the repair so fast wasn't the greatest idea.

Edited by james_8970, 03 February 2006 - 07:19 PM.

jrom727

jrom727

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
I think you're referring to the address bar..
Have you try...
Internet Explorer > View > Toolbars > Address Bar (Make sure it has a check besides it)

If it is check, address bar sometimes locate itself at the side, so look for it.

Alternative to open a web page: if you're address bar is really missing for some reason.

Press the CTRLand the letter o keys at the same time. OR just click on File > Open.

Hope that helps!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may also be in full screen mode...try pressing f11

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...mile runner...this problem seems to be alot easier than anything that wold require an I.E. repair...why didn't you try the easy stuff first?

also i know that if i dont say it now one of my collegues will, here in the inernet and browsers fourm, whenever someone complains of a problem in IE it is almost garunteed one of the helpers will suggest the user should switch to firefox. and so i whould like to suggest that to you. firefox is more secure, and faster. and FREE. but if you whould like to stick with IE, i totaly understand.

this is not Geeks to Go policy....any suggestions to download and use firefox is based completely on personal opinion...

Luckyjfl

Luckyjfl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi Guys,
sorry for not getting back sooner, had a problem getting into site. I tried everything you suggested, except changing my Browser. and nothing worked, so I have gone over to Firefox. It seems cool. Thanks again for all your time and help.

Luckyjfl

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
The monkey is correct. Be careful how you recommend things.

See my comments Here.

ScHwErV :tazz: