Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD RW Will Not Erase!

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I have 2 DVD RWs that I want to use to backup files on my syste. However, I can't erase them to put files on and if I just add some files, then the DVD is too full. Anyone know why?

Thanks

dog!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What are you trying to format them with

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Hi Keith,
If you mean what program, I have the CD writer that is part of WinXP (Roxio CD Creator) as well as Nero. I guess I just don't know what I'm doing. I wrote to the DVD's once already, but I don't get the option to "overwrite" files, just add. The XP one gives me the option to erase, but I get the error message that the files are read-only and can't be deleted.

dog

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Nero should go like this

[attachment=6325:attachment]

You want erase DVD

[attachment=6326:attachment]

Choose the full erase

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Thanks Keith, that works, guess I just need to do what I keep telling my kids to do? LOOK AROUND!

dog

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

If you choose make data DVD then choose add for the files, then check it is set to burn multi session, provided you leave the file / folder name(s) unchhanged on the PC, you can re-insert the disc, click make data DVD, let it run for a minute and it will update the folder(s), adding any additions you have made, then you just click burn to add them to the disc

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Wow .... I DID NOT KNOW THAT! That's even cooler!

Thanks again!

dog