Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen so formatted hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Bek

Bek

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Have been having load of blue screen errors, eventually I could not access bios or anything. I was advise to format, so I downloaded the boot disk from another computer, formatted the hard drive, loaded all my drivers and everything seemed okay.
I was writing an email and the computer just clicked, froze, I pressed the reset button and got the message something like..
Realtek RTL 81105/81695 gigabit ethnic controller media test failure
PXR Rom
Rtl81108/81695 gigabit controller v1.01 RXEE61
Just goes round and round in circles.
Someone advised me to move my jumpers and see if it will boot up that way but this was the person that advised me to format!?
I have amibios 3.31a
maxtor 6y160po
windows xp pro with sp1 updated to sp2
512 ram
nvidia 53.03 6.14.10.5.03
I got as far as loading tune up utilities, nortons systemworks 2004, pest patrol, office 2000 pro.
Please help me, I mainly use my computer to download from my camcorder to make dvd's of my 8 yr old daugher and the internet of course. :tazz:
Not sure what else you need to know but am on my mums pc at the moment.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If I am reading you correctly, it sounds like your harddrive is no longer being recognized and your PC is trying to boot from the network...the media test failure is telling you that the PC could not find a Remote Installation Server.

You say you cannot enter BIOS...have you ever entered BIOS on this PC? It can be tricky, expecially if you have a multimedia keyboard that turns the FUNCTION keys off and your bios requires an Fkey to enter it (gotta love DEL)

When you are booting your PC, just after the memory count up, does the PC recognize the harddrive?

Bek

Bek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for getting back to me!
I did get into the bios...not that I would have a clue what to do.
I did a google search, which is where I came across your site. I looked in bios and it boots up:
1. floppy
2. disabled
3. dvd drive which I think is Lite>>>>
My computer is not networked, I have my mums hard drive here so I have to disconnect and connect my hard drive to my monitor.
Yes it does not think I have a c:/ drive :tazz:

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thanks for getting back to me!
I did get into the bios...not that I would have a clue what to do.
I did a google search, which is where I came across your site. I looked in bios and it boots up:
1. floppy
2. disabled
3. dvd drive which I think is Lite>>>>
My computer is not networked, I have my mums hard drive here so I have to disconnect and connect my hard drive to my monitor.
Yes it does not think I have a c:/ drive :tazz:

In the bios where the boot sequence #2 says dissabled....scroll down and change it to HDD-0. Or whatever the name of your hard drive is. I dunno how it got dissabled but he's right....it's not trying to boot from your drive. It's trying to boot Floppy, then CD...then network then removable (USB probably) devices. But changing over the "dissabled" thing to Hard Disk or HDD-0 or whatever other option you have for hard drive should help at least get the ball rolling.

Bek

Bek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for getting back to me, nice to know that there are people out there that can help.
I tried what you said but got the same message so I got my manual out and tried to move the jumpers... it asked me to start window normal or safe mode etc..started in safe but didn't know what else to do?? so started windows normally, I just got a black screen so assumed it was something to do with Nvidia so I started in safe mode again and disabled Nvidia and it booted up okay with very large icons etc. On onother pc at the moment. Do you think I should try to use my msi cd to update the bios? obviously a bios problem or is it Nvidia???? I would like to scream!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
If it booted up fine after you uninstalled your video drivers then it's your video card. Or the drivers for the video card. If you reinstall the drivers then the screen will be adjustable again. But if you reinstall them and it does the same thing then your drivers aren't compatible and you should try using an older set of drivers....or...get a new video card. *laughs*

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
It sounds to me....after you'd been through all of this....that your motherboard is loosing things. It lost your boot device for your drive...lost your CMOS settings for boot order....then lost your video card drivers? Just a word of warning....I can't tell obviously....but it may be that your motherboard is about ready to visit the graveyard of computer parts (which resides in my office)

Bek

Bek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for that good news!
Can you buy a motherboard? Is it difficult to replace and what would be the best one to buy? This computer was built for me and has always played up, always seem to have driver problems, I blamed this on Magix sortware and codec problems.

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Lets not jump to conclusions here. There is no sense in buying a new Motherboard if you reinstall your video card and the computer works fine. If the motherboard is on the way out, then there really isn't much harm in waiting it out just to make sure. No need to spend all kinds of extra money on a part you may not really even need for another year.

But, to answer your question, yes you can buy motherboards. Computer parts stores generally sell them for between 60-150 dollars these days. If your computer is manufactured you could call the maker (Eg...Dell, HP, Gateway) most of the time thats the best idea. The reason for that is if you don't replace a motherboard with exactly the same motherboard (or a compatible one) then you'll have to reinstall windows completely. So like I said. If you get your video working and no problems arise within a month....don't worry about it.

edit: I didn't even read that part about it being built for you :tazz:. If the motherboard goes bad (and pray that it doesn't 'cause it's a hassle) OPen up the case and look up the serial number. Unless you want to just rebuild your system. THen I would go with MSI or Asus. They are top of the line these days. Course there are other brands but *shrugs* up to you.

Edited by Nait Dawg, 04 February 2006 - 02:04 PM.

Bek

Bek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there
Removed my battary which booted me up ok, went onto me msi cd and updated all my drivers. for some reason won't let me update nvidia ge force mx400 5.3.0.3 but it seems to be working ok. Think it must be a bios problem. MSI won't for some reason update NVIDIA, just does nothing? Have been on nvidia website but I don't get the option to update geforce mx400??
I am on my computer at the moment so that is a plus but I just wait for that "click" and then the blue screen!!!!!!!!!!!

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Thats really interesting. Sounds like your video card is outdated if there are no drivers for it for download.

Bek

Bek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have found the driver I assume is the correct one, it supports nvidia geforce4nx400 for windows xp 2000 32 bit. Would you update the drive? I have to delete my current one?
Can you advice of any software I can download that will sort out blue screens etc. Don't mind paying for it but there are so many out there I don't know which one's to trust? I have got Nortons System Works 2004 and Tune up utilities?

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
There's really no software that will sort out blue screens. They are windows system error warnings. If there was one piece of software you could buy that fixed every single error you get in windows then the person would be a rich rich man. But see, a lot of the blue screens deal with hardware issues as well. So there's really no way to tell. If it blue screens again then write down the stop error code. Should look something like.....00000000x9f or something like that. Until then, if it works....I'd leave it alone.