Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running at peak performance!

• Please log in to reply

ATG

ATG

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I was wondering what I should be looking for and what I could be doing to make sure my current set up is running at top performance.

I currently have a AMD 2700+ with AIW ATI x800xt, standard power supply...and 1.25gig ddr400 (even though it is only running at 333MHz due to mother board).

Is there some way I can insure that my current set up is running at top performance?

Just wondering because when I went from the ATI 9800pro to the AIW ATIx800xt I did not notice much of a diffrence at all......

Thanks for any help

ATG

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
What do you mean by not much difference? While the x800xt is faster than the 9800pro, it's only a generation faster. You're not going to see huge improvements.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the reply.........

What I was worried about was the fact that I did not see very much diffrence in preformace between the two video cards. What I mean by this is: for example the game that I play (and love) EQ2.....in my opion I have a very nice system (about 2+yrs old). I am currently running a AMD 2700+ w/gigabite mother board, 1.25Gig of ram (which only runs at 333 even though it is DDR 400Mhz, this is due to the FSB of the MOB) stock power supply and Santa Cruz sound card and a 21'' dell flat panel desk top set at 1600x1200.

AMD 2700+ 32bit
Gigabite mob (think it was) ga7va (not %100 sure about modle # on mob)
1.25Gig of pc3200 ddr 400 ram (which only runns at 333Mhz, due to FSB limit on mob)
stock power supply
santa cruz sound card
21" Dell flat panle desk top monitor set at 1600x1200 res
60Gig 7200rpm hard drive

nothing has been over clocked all setting are at factory

When I changed from the 9800 pro to the x800xt I expected to see some diffrence in the game play. Maybe be able to turn up the quality of the game's looks. But instead nothing really changed at all. I have to keep the same settings on the game as I did when I had the 9800pro. If I try to turn up the graphics on the game with the new card it runs like crap. And even on the same settings as I had the 9800pro there is really no diffrence in game play.

Was there or is there something more I could be doing to make more of a diffrence out of this video card???

Granted I understand that EQ2 is a very demanding game, pushing systems a lot of the time to the max.....but I have always feelt that my system was above average and should be able to hanle the game better.

this is one reason why I am in the process of building a new system and am going with the lates and greatest on everything from video card (very expensive) to processor to mob to memory.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well that gfx card should be able to run that game at high settings ok, the bottleneck will be your system(which isnt all that fast). Although 1600x1200 is a very high res.

You might try running tune up 2006 for some general performance increase and making sure your hard disks are properly defragged. Try running at 1280x1024 see how high you can get the settings, make sure to get the latest drivers, run the ATI unistaller and do a full reinstall.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the feedback.

Where do I get this program Tune up 2006 at??? Do I just download if from the net??? And is it hard to use??

I have always thought that the res that I run which is 1600x1200 had a large part to do with why I was not setting any big change from the 9800pro. I have always run the game at 1600x1200 so not %100 sure it would run better but if I had to guess I would say it probaly would run better on a lower res....but once you get use to 1600x1200 you never want to go back.... :tazz:

I try to update the drivers on a normal basis.....currently have the latest ones.

Should I uninstall my drivers..even if they are working...and re-install the latest ones from scratch???

Is there a easy was to push the video card harder to get better performance out of it??

Thanks again for all this great feedback

ATG

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah just google for it, i would reinstall the drivers and the latest .net framework. What ahppens when you turn up the settings will performance decrease significantly or is it only a small amount, 1600x1200 is a very high resolution for any game, a little to high in terms of what you would want to play at in some games. Resolution is a big factor in game performance the difference between 1600 and 1280 is over 600 000 more pixels for the gfx card to render.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
.net framework?? what is this??

KI will google the other program.

When I try to turn the settings from say balanced to the next lvl up...the game runs very laggy and choppy...if I try to go up to extrem (which is the highest setting) the game will not even run its just locks up

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Does sound like a simple performance problem, i could explain .net framework, but you would be easier googling it sufice to say its from MS and the catalyst drivers need it to run properly. I would try it at the lower res see what its like also, in control centre what options do you have enabled everything should be set at let application decide as otherwise it will apply things like AA and then the game will try to do it makes for bad gaming.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
As far as I know all setting are set to let system config....I have never messed with any of this.

I will try it at a lower res later tonight if I get a chance to play....and let you know how it works.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It is weird though performance should still be noticabley better than the 9800 as cards of that generation werent as good at the higher resolution.

Also check and see that your CPU is running at the proper speed you can use CPU-Z it will tell you all about your CPU and ram. Also is it an AGP 8x slot you are using, it sounds like you have a bottleneck somewhere in the system.

Advertisements

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
CPU-Z what is this??? and how do I use it??

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Two places you can find that out, Google and the link in my sig.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
ok I have run the CPU-Z program....as far as I can tell it all seems to be normal but that is not saying much as there is a lot readings on this program that I don't know anything about.

I have attacked the readings...please take a look at them and let me know what you think......warriorscot...or any one else

Thanks

Attached Files

• Attached File  cpuz.htm   7.51KB   24 downloads

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It looks ok i was thinking you might be being bottlenecked on the AGP slot but its an 8x so it should be ok.

Was there any difference with the .net framework and driver reinstall? And what was it like with the res down a bit.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Have not had a chance to re-install the drivers yet...as for the res down there seem to be a improvment in game flow.....went down twice on res and it got better each time...but I could never play on those res