Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Word and Normal Template

• Please log in to reply

atoptions

atoptions

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When creating a Word document and then trying to save, it indicates something about changing the "Normal template". Do you want to save the new template? How do I resolve this template issue? I don't want to change the template to begin with. Thank you!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
are you saving whatever you are doing as a template? (.dot extension)

How did you create this file?

atoptions

atoptions

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am assisting someone with this. It is my understanding that he goes into Word and creates a document. When he saves it, it sometimes asks if he is changing the normal template. He wants to save the document not as a template but as a standard Word document in .doc format. He created the file by opening Word, typing his document and saving. It is when he wants to save that it asks him about changing the normal template.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is the extension .dot?

If not, I suspect a corrupt template issue

Close Word

Start > Search *.dot
check look in hidden and system folders for advanced search.

Delete all instances of normal.dot

Word will recreate normal.dot (the normal template file) on restarting