Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help choosing CPU

• Please log in to reply

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
This is what i have so far:

MOTHERBOARD
DFI Lanprty UT NF4 Ultra-d

CASE
Antec sonata 2

Graphic Card
Leadtek-Leadtek-6800GS/256MB/DDR3/PCI-X/Video card(Extreme SLI Version)with games

HARD DRIVE
Western Digital 2500KS 250GB 16mb

Optical
Model-GSA-4167B 16x Dual layer DVDRW-OEM Black

RAM
OCZ 2x 512MB DDR PC3200(400MHZ) Dual Channel DDR RAM

MS Windows XP Home

I am having trouble choosing the right CPU. I was maybe thinking of Opteron 165(1.8 ghz, 2mb L2 cache) and overclock it to 2.5ghz. But then i thought do i really need dual core so should i go with Athlon 64 3200 or 3500.

Any suggestions will be great.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Either way the 165 is faster than both of them really because of its huge cache, you should get faster ram if you want to overclock. opteron seems the best way to go at the moment if you can get one.

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Is this RAM better :

Corsair XMS Series - Twin X - 2x512MB PC3200(400MHZ CL2) Dual Chan. DDR

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
It is hot, but i cant honestly compare them

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
not really you want faster as in PC3500 or PC4000 if you want to overclock as when you overclock the cpu you overclcok the chipset and you overclcok the ram all at the same time by the same amount, if you had a cpu with an unlocked upward multiplier then you wouldnt have too, and i dont think the opterons are unlocked unless im wrong i havent used them and they are rare here to get hold off.

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
I am on a low budget and i still have to work 1 more week to get those. I will get the XMS 1 GB now and i will only OC to 2.2ghz and later in the summer i will add better RAM.

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
The mobo only supports upto DDR400. Isnt anything higher than PC3200 higher than DDR400??

afg34

afg34

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Plz help
:tazz: