Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Restarts - Possibly PSU

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys, just want a second opinion. My computer keeps random restarting, i cant overclock at all, and whenever the puter is stressed it dies.

Heres the specs

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (idle 55 degree c, stress 62 degree ish, it usually dies)
Asus X850XT
2gb value select
Gigabyte Motherboard

Unbranded PSU 500W

Edited by comanighttrain, 02 February 2006 - 05:42 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Your temps are very high to me on the cpu what is the fx card like, they arent to bad but i prefer the load to be at 55 or less not the idle, i prefer the load to be under 45 for that matter.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Well, the fx card has no temp sensor on it, it its a thermaltake case and its not being OC'd so id imagine thats at least below average. The cpu temp has never been right on this mobo, there is a temp sensor issue with this mobo. However, i cannot find a decent socket A replacement so im stuck with it at the moment.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have had problems with 5 different 500W PS's. Four of them finally died. One still has problems running a athlon 2600, 2 dvd drives, nvidia 5700, creative audigy, 1 gig ram machine. It flakes out and reboots occasionally. Yes, i would replace the PS unit. I buy Thermotake 430W units for $40 and they seem to run all my puters fine. Your cpu cooling is OK but i would opt for a better cooler like a thermotake heatpipe type. It dropped my athlon 2600 from 52 degrees to 40 degrees at idle and now seldom sees 55 degreesat the hottest.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153023

SRX660

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
haha, its a gigabyte 3d rocket with heat pipes, the works, cost me £40, and it didnt make a difference, reseated it a load of times, used better heatpase...etc...doesnt make a diff, its the sensor.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
so PSU or what guys? need opinions.