Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cybernet & D-Link 604 Problems

• Please log in to reply

Edward52

Edward52

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
D-Link tech support can't seem to fix this permanently, Cybernet said something about an incompatibility issue between cybernet's main server, d-link, and microsoft.
Problem: starting my computer, once in a while it works perfect, half the time not at all, and sometimes powering down the router for 10 sec. will establish the internet connection.
I've Got: Windows XP Home, D-Link 604 router with latest firmware update, which would be when this problem became intolerably frequent, ISP MyCybernet ADSL, Norton Systemworks.
Questions: Can this be fixed? Is it a defective router? Is it a compatibility issue, and what to do about it? I've scanned with what I've got as far as malware is concerned but cleanup didn't change anything, so could you guys do the hijack thing with me please, and let's see if I've got something I couldn't find.
Thanx, guys! Ed!

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Moved to networking - this is not a comment or suggestion about the site.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you clarify the issue? are you saying most of the time y ou cannot connect to the internet? or most of the time the computer wont start?

Problem: starting my computer, once in a while it works perfect, half the time not at all, and sometimes powering down the router for 10 sec. will establish the internet connection.

Edward52

Edward52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Oh, Sorry! It's all about connecting to the internet. Everything else starts OK. It's gotten to the point where it will only connect with the help of D-Link tech support, so I bought and installed a new router, and I'm back online again as of today.
But now I'm afraid to turn the computer off for a possible failing reconnect tomorrow. So I'll just leave the beast on until somebody can clear things up for me.
Thanx, Ed!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you got a new router...and it's working...i would probably say that you're safe.....plus....without turning off your computer and seeing if the problem is still there...we can't really help...because we don't know what the problem is or if it still exists..soooooooo turn the sucker off

Edward52

Edward52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Soooooo, I turned the sucker off last night (before reading your post), [and because the new discount router (wireless) seems to be working fine for the whole 2 days] and today it fired up and connected absolutely no hassle! WooHoo! Anybody want a D-Link 604 cheap?
Wait! I'll get them to send me a new one and you can have the new one cheap!
I still wouldn't mind doing the hijack-this thing just to see if there's anything evil in there that my stuff missed.
Thanxalot, ElectricEd!

P.S.: Yes I've donated to WWF, please specify what further info u require should there b any, and is your malware thing better, easier, or quicker to use than the hijack-this thing?

Edited by Edward52, 08 February 2006 - 10:58 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
thanks for thinking of the animals...i appreciate it!

hijack this isn't an antimalware program...it's a system interpereter...we use it here in conjunction with our highly trained staff....so basically the malware thing here...is you go through the first steps to get as much cleaned as possible...then y ou post an HJT log in the malware forum...and our experts read that log...and tel you what else (and how to) remove if you have anything crawling around in there