Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer power

• Please log in to reply

cflm3

cflm3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an IBM Netvista computer that is turning itself on and off. I cleaned the inside of the computer and the problem corrected itself. However, I now having the problem again, and after cleaining the inside of the computer, the computer still turns on and off by itself. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Replace the power supply. Thats usually the first cause for something like that. When does it shut itself on and off? Durring windows startup or just randomly?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you can boot into safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

if you do not get a BSOD and can boot into safemode then:

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Actually....before you boot to safe mode. When you press F8 it will give you a list of choices. Safe Mode, Safe mode with Networking, Safe mode with Command Prompt...ECT.....find the one on the list that says "dissable restart on system failuer" or something to that affect and you won't even have to be in windows to do it. Works just the same as what he said...has the same affect. It's just that it only takes one step....and if you can't get into safe mode....then you can't do what he sudgested anyway.