Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox, IconPackager, and HTM/HTML file icons

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I downloaded IconPackager some time ago to see what it had to offer, but did not use it even once to change any of my settings, whatsoever, as I didn't like what I saw all that much. Since I didn't plan on using it I uninstalled it.

Turns out that uninstalling IconPackager resets all icons (including those for file extensions under Folder Options) and pointers back to defaults. :tazz: :)

I went back and changed each icon representing a file type manually (wordpad back to MS Word, etc). Everything could be changed back, except the icons for HTM and HTML files. When I click on either HTM or HTML is says "opens with: Firefox" and in "advanced" I used the "change icon" to bring back the firefox icon. Although it shows up in the preview, the icons representing HTM/HTML files on my computer are still those of Internet Explorer.

Does anyone know how I can change the icons back to those of Firefox?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcome to geekstogo,
i'm not sure, but it's worth a try is internet explorer your default browser
thanx
James

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
My default browser if firefox.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
well then i'm stumped. I'll take a look around then and c if i can dig anything up
James

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Thank you so much. :tazz:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Can you use System Restore to a date before you installed the icon program? If that doesn't correct it, you can repair icons in TweakUI from MS Powertoys or use the icon repair suggestions here:
http://www.kellys-ko....com/xp_abc.htm
Another alternative might be to uninstall Firefox and reinstall it, or install it again over itself.

Johanna

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I cannot use System Restore because, although I installed and uninstalled IconPackager in the same day, that took place several months ago. I was looking at an old post of mine on another forum concerning Microsoft Office icons that were changed after the uninstall, and saw a reply by someone who had the same problem, plus the one with firefox that I'm posting about now. Curious, I went and looked at my own icons for html and htm and noticed that for me as well they could no longer be changed. I guess I missed them while I was weeding through the icons that had to be fixed right after the uninstall.

Already tried uninstalling and reinstalling firefox, as well as TweakUI, and neither solved the issue.

Thanks for the suggestions though. :tazz:

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Found the solution!

IconPackager must have altered the registry. :tazz:

In the registry editor, in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597} under Old Icon there are folders for FirefoxHTML and htmlfile. If you look in the default icon subfolder under each of them, it gives the path to the icon used in each instance.

Under FirefoxHTML the path for the icon should be C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE,1. The icon was showing up as the one for IE because the path there was C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe,1 (this path is the one that should be in the default icon folder for htmlfile not FirefoxHTML).

Changing the path in FirefoxHTML\Default Icon to C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE,1 fixes the problem.

:)

Edited by CelestialTeardrop, 04 February 2006 - 01:46 PM.