Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

programs freeze and or won't open

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I got my computer at the begining of fall semester, and everything was working well untill about a month and a half ago. First when I log on I am set up to always sign on to AIM automatically, but this happens only like half of the time. Also whenever I try to open programs like Itunes, Internet explorer and occasionally tasks as simple as like my documents the computer will take forever to do them and most of the time never open and I am forced to restart and even then that wont work so I just turn it off manually. Recently my roomate sugested to open Itunes or something and look at the processes menu in the Ctrl+Alt+Del function and slowly delete some of the computer's processes to see if there is something within one of the processes that is blocking these respective programs from opening. I did this and I am pretty sure that the process VsTskMgr or something connected to the process VsTskMgr is prohibiting programs from opening, beceuase when I close this I tunes imediately starts growing in computer memory usage and opens only seconds after. This program is the Virus Task manager scan for McAfee (my current virus scan software). My question is, is this problem at all normal and second what do I do in order to solve this problem? How do I "clean this process or search it to figure out what is wrong with it?

Thanks
Nate

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If that is the case, uninstall Mcafee and then reinstall it.

I have on more than one occassion had a AV program go bad on me and cause all kinds of issues. Since these programs work at such a low level of the computer, the potential for problems seems to be greater than other programs