Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

One Day its working, one its not

• Please log in to reply

Notsohandyandy

Notsohandyandy

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, ive had this setup for at least 3 months without problem, just when our ISP were updating a whole lot of crap, and we dropped alot, the router stopped broadcasting the Wireless Networks.

Our net is backup now, but, the router isn't broadcasting i think, beause on our netgear 54 MBPS Wireless Router WGR614 V6, the Power Icon is lighted, the Internet Icon is Lighted, BUT the Wireless Icon is neither blinking or Lighted.

Im pretty sure the setup has stayed EXACTLY the same and everything should be fine.. but i don't know why.

First ill show you how i connected it all up.

PC<USB ---cable---USB>ADSL Modem<ETHERNET ----cable---- ETHERNET>Netgear Wireless Router

Now the instructions told us that the ADSL modem and Wireless router were to be switched (referring to my diagram) but sadly we did not have any ethernet ports if i may call it, only USB, we tried that and it worked fine anyway.

Our internet is fine, the cables are correctly placed, everything is fine as i can see, but our other computer is not receiving any singles, the USB Adapter is in correctly, and is the exact same setup we've had for the past 3 months. And when i try to view wireless networks, none are in range.

What do you think?

one of the logs i got from Event viewer

Your computer has detected that the IP address 10.0.0.1 for the Network Card with network address 0090D0895BB3 is already in use on the network. Your computer will automatically attempt to obtain a different address.

another

The system detected an address conflict for IP address 10.0.0.1 with the system having network hardware address 00:14:6C:03:0B:A3. The local interface has been disabled.

I really have no idea. lol

I've searched for Spyware/Viruses on both computers and its clean. Although there was an attempt made by someone, who clicked "Repair" on the wireless icon. Did it change any info?

Also, my computer does not have an Ethernet Plug thingy :tazz: although it has been working with the router connected to the ADSL modem Via Ethernet Cable..

Also ive seen in the Ipconfig /all that Ip Routing is not Enabled?

Edited by Notsohandyandy, 03 February 2006 - 01:45 AM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Andy,

Also, my computer does not have an Ethernet Plug thingy

Ethernet "Port" :tazz:

PC<USB ---cable---USB>ADSL Modem<ETHERNET ----cable---- ETHERNET>Netgear Wireless Router

I really can't see how this setup would work. The purpose of the router is to recieve information from the modem, and then route it to the correct locations (computers). Right now, your router would simply be passing the information to your modem, and then your modem would only be able to pass the data to the computer that is connected to it. Whether it then passes the data back to the router to be sent on to the other computer, I don't know... Like I said, I've never seen it setup like this before. I'm curious, can you ping the router from the hard-wired computer? Can you connect to it's Web Console?

However, I have a strong feeling that if you get the hardware setup properly, you'll have a far better chance of solving this problem.

Well, ive had this setup for at least 3 months without problem, just when our ISP were updating a whole lot of crap, and we dropped alot, the router stopped broadcasting the Wireless Networks.

What was your ISP updating? And what do you mean your droppled alot? As in your Internet connection?

For kicks, you could try powercycling... However, with your current setup, it would be odd... Because of your strange setup, you might need to swap around the modem and router.
  • Power off your computer(s).
  • Shutdown / unplug your modem.
  • Shutdown / unplug your router.
  • Wait two minutes.
  • Power on your modem. Wait until the modem is completely restarted before the next step. This may take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your router. Wait until the router completely restarts. This also can take upward of two minutes.
  • Power on your computer.

Notsohandyandy

Notsohandyandy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
'fraid it didn't work Dan.

I'm noticing thugh, when i plug in my router, all the lights go on except the Wireless icon.

No i don't think ive ever seen this computer ping the router, and its never been able to go to the web console. I have no idea why but somehow this setup worked.

And i don't think my ISP were neccessarily updating, but they may have been doing something, or may have been the weather, about 3 other people iknew who used the same ISP Were Disconnecting alot too.

Before i try my very last step, of switching the computers, maybe i should hit the Factory Restore Button?

lol or another step adding an Ethernet Port to this computer :tazz:

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Your setup defies logic :tazz:

You could restore your router to defaults if you want..

I just don't know how to troubleshoot a router issue, when you're connected to your modem, and then your router. What's the make/model of your router? Have you contacted the manufacturer, asking them about the light issue?