Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Tweak

• Please log in to reply

AlekNoStar

AlekNoStar

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey, i am a musician and have made my computer my home studio. When i am using VST sometimes my CPU is at the edge of overloading so i was wondering what could i do to tweak my Windows. Here's what i got...

Sound card: MAUDIO Delta 66
GATEWAY 505GH Intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz
3.00GHz, 0,99 GB of ram

I've already checked my computer for spywares and viruses. This is not the issue... i wanna know what can i do to make my computer faster...

Thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Increase the amount of Ram memory

Set virtual memory to system managed

AlekNoStar

AlekNoStar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Alright, can you give me a step to step how to do that?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then right click my computer, click properties, advanced, click settings for performance, click advanced, click change for virtual memory, put the dot in system managed, click set, click apply, reboot

This is optional but should improve things

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi Aleknostar,,,,,
I also use my computer for running cubse sx3 and i can tell you now that the upgrading of your ram will not completly solve the cpu spiking.
You have way too many background services running at the same time.

When you are using your comp for recording,, you have email, explorer, antivirus etc,,etc,
These services will all cause conflict with the cpu as they will all be trying to grab as much % of your cpu as they can,, along with your recording software and all your vst pluggins.

The only way to overcome this permenantly is to tweak your xp so it acts more like a DAW, giving preference to you music making above all else. But unfortunatly,,,, this will be at the expence of all your other services.
There are a few options open to you ,,such as dual booting your comp or partitioning the drive so you use 1 boot for all your recording and vst storage,, and the other for your domestic use ie,,internet etc,,,

If you have reached a point in your recording career where it has becoming more than a passing hobby, then you really must consider getting another computer and using that for your recording.
I have been thru all of this before,,,, beleive me,,,, its time to get another comp, use one for your internet and everthing else you do domestically,, and the other, solesly for your recording.
There really isnt any other way to obtain near proffessional results. you will continually overload your cpu,, your recordings will start to suffer quality issues,, clicks, drop outs and glitches.

I am a member of CUBASE.NET forum, soley for cubase users, but there are litterally hundreds of threads all about tweaking xp,, partitioning a drive, setting up a dual boot,, building or buying a DAW,,,,,
Its the place to go,,,,,,,, browse the forum,, read the posts,,, you will soon get a better idea of what you need to start doing to contiue recording glitch free.

I do hope this has been of some help to you,,, I have been there,,, i now have 2 computers,, end of story.

Good luck,,,, kev.