Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

video card slowing things down?

• Please log in to reply

msiz

msiz

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
my PC is terribly slow. It takes about 5 minutes to boot up and someone has told me that my video card may be storing things unecessarily. Can anyone help?
Thanks
msiz :tazz:

Advertisements

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
What kind of video card is it?

msiz

msiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
ehhh .... now that I have no idea! :tazz:

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Once the computer is booted go to your "my computer icon" and right click. Then down to properties. Inside of properties click on the "hardware" tab. Then click on the device manager button. When the device manager comes up click on the + sign by Display devices. It should drop down and tell you exactly what video card you are using at the moment.

msiz

msiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
ok.

only Display adapters and right clicked that and got

SiS 300/305/630/540/730

Is this right?

:tazz:

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

ok.

only Display adapters and right clicked that and got

SiS 300/305/630/540/730

Is this right?

You opened the plus sign to the left of Display adapters and thats what it told you?

msiz

msiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
yes!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

SiS 300/305/630/540/730

You don't have a video card. Your computer is using what's known as onboard graphics. These work by taking a chunk out of the memory in the computer and use it to give you a picture on your screen (in a nutshell). That is to say, if you have 256Mb in your computer, you're probably using around about 64Mb of that for your graphics.

What your friend probably meant was that you don't have enough memory in your computer. You can find out how much memory you have as follows:

Right-Click My Computer -> Properties (you'll find My Computer on the Start Menu if it isn't on your desktop).

You'll see three sections: System, Registered To and Computer. What do you have written in the computer section?

Edited by Neil Jones, 03 February 2006 - 05:20 PM.

msiz

msiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
when I right click I get

system restore
general
automatic updates
computer name
remote
advanced

none of these look like what you say?

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Dang it...her beat me to it. *laughs* Yes....what he means is right click on your my computer icon and go t properties. The first tab that comes up is called general. At the very bottom of general it will tell you processor speed and amount of memory...how much do you have?

msiz

msiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
1.24GHz, 496MB RAM

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Do me a favor and push control-alt-delete when the task manager comes up find the tab at the top that says
performance. Tell me what percentage your processor ussage is, and then how many bars are there in the page file ussage box?