Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Word Document Restore

• Please log in to reply

Sophia_rose

Sophia_rose

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi! I was working on an ongoing Microsoft Word document and saved my new progress, but in the process I deleted something I now need back. :) Is there any way to restore a document to its previous state before the last save, or is it gone forever?? :tazz: Any help would be greatly appreciated! (I have Windows XP, if that helps.) Have a wonderful day! :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you actually delete the file? or did you delete something in the file then save it?

Sophia_rose

Sophia_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi! I did not delete the file. It is a school paper I am working on, so I open the document when I am ready to work, then save and close it when I am done. The last time I worked on it, I added things to the paper, but I also deleted parts of the paper that I didn't think were important. Once I was done, I saved the paper closed Word. Now I have realized that some of the things I deleted were things I need back. Even though I added new things, I would rather have the paper back to its former state.

GrantR

GrantR

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Sophia, I just did the same thing as you! Did anyone give you an idea how to restore a previous version of your word document after you saved changes you want to undo?
Grant

Sophia_rose

Sophia_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi GrantR, I actually never did resolve the issue. I am going to repost, so hopefully we will both find out what to do! sophia_rose

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Unless you saved a backup somewhere, those changes are there to stay.. As soon as you saved the new doc under the same name as the old doc, the old document was overwritten and is no longer available..

I don't think a System Restore would even help as that is NOT supposed to affect personal docs, etc!!

Murray

Sophia_rose

Sophia_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you Murray!