Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to boot up laptop - WININET.dll not found

• Please log in to reply

bmg

bmg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an HP PAVILION laptop with XP Home and I discovered yesterday that I have the Trojan virus after I installed Norton Antivirus 2006. I previously had 2004 but after a bad install of 2006 I only had MS Spyware on for the past week. Needless to say now I am infected. When I boot up the notebook I can get to the point where I see my background but then I can't get any further because I get a series of error messages. The title of the messages are
1. explorer.exe unable to locate component
2. bcmwltry.exe unable to locate component

They all have a message which is "This application has failed to start because WININET.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

I've tried to go into safe mode, same thing.

A colleague of mine has suggested that we copy the dll from him home computer to a cd and then use DOS commands to override it on my laptop. Could Trojan have corrupted other dlls? Would it be better to use my XP CD and boot up from the CD and try and do a repair - or will Trojan lock me out of those files?

If anyone could help I would be so grateful.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi bmg! Welcome to G2G!

Got a couple of preliminary questions for you before we start fixing your problem. First, do you have Service Pack 2 installed. Second, do you have your Windows XP CD.

Once I get your answers to these two questions we will be able to proceed with fixing your problem.

Fenor