Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading System (Need Opinions/Discussion)

• Please log in to reply

jdbrendel

jdbrendel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
After deliberating about whether or not to buy a new gaming computer, I've decided not to for financial reasons. Right now I'm running:

P4 2.0Ghz processor
512 MB DDR RAM (Recently Added)
Integrated Graphics (Yuck)
Integrated Sound (Yuck)
160w Power Supply (Yuck)
40 GB HD (Works for me)

I've been looking to add a graphic card, and have done my homework considerably. My mobo is a 845 chipset, which unfortunately means I obviously don't have anything for a PCI-E, as well as the fact that it doesn't support AGP 8x, but does support AGP 4x. I've decided on a GeForce 6600 256MB that is 4x/8x compatible and have a great price on it. It fits my 1.5v slot on my mobo as well.

My real question is, what sort of power supply do I need to upgrade to now? Obviously 160w isn't enough to power everything once I add the graphic card. I've been looking at something in the 420w range, but am not entirely sure about what physical size will work with my case (I have a gateway E-4000 with a full tower case) and any other components I need to buy to make it work.

Additionally, I would like some advice on what kind of sound card to buy, as well as what kind of newer/popular games I will reasonably be able to play with this new setup.

Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
gonna move this topic to system building and what not...since it's not related to xp at all

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

After deliberating about whether or not to buy a new gaming computer, I've decided not to for financial reasons. Right now I'm running:

P4 2.0Ghz processor
512 MB DDR RAM (Recently Added)
Integrated Graphics (Yuck)
Integrated Sound (Yuck)
160w Power Supply (Yuck)
40 GB HD (Works for me)

I've been looking to add a graphic card, and have done my homework considerably. My mobo is a 845 chipset, which unfortunately means I obviously don't have anything for a PCI-E, as well as the fact that it doesn't support AGP 8x, but does support AGP 4x. I've decided on a GeForce 6600 256MB that is 4x/8x compatible and have a great price on it. It fits my 1.5v slot on my mobo as well.

My real question is, what sort of power supply do I need to upgrade to now? Obviously 160w isn't enough to power everything once I add the graphic card. I've been looking at something in the 420w range, but am not entirely sure about what physical size will work with my case (I have a gateway E-4000 with a full tower case) and any other components I need to buy to make it work.

Additionally, I would like some advice on what kind of sound card to buy, as well as what kind of newer/popular games I will reasonably be able to play with this new setup.

Thanks!

You would be better off getting a new pc. The agp slot at 4x sucks. 8x agp is still fine and fast if you have a fast video card to mach up to it.

Since your going to just upgrade your current pc look at the thermaltake 420 watt powersupply its only around $38-$40 and it is a true power, power supply and it is a good company/brand.

For a good quality sound card the new xtreme music series is good with the X-Fi chip in it. Cost usually around $115 or a hair more. The audigy 2 sound cards are still nice also but the x-fi's are new.

512 mb ram is not enough really for a computer. I would try and upgrade the memory to 1gb. It makes a world of a difference between 512mb and 1gb of ram.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
X-fis are ridiculously extravegant though its the kind of thing you get after you have everything else in our computer up to scratch, onboard is sufficent but an audugy 2 is dirt cheap at the moment and its more than adequate for sound.

RAMs a good option, but the AGP4x will be giving you a bottleneck and its not going to be much of a gamer, you would be better just starting a good savings account and saving up the cash for a new system.