Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry Folder Deleted. Oops, what do I do?

• Please log in to reply

Sultan5000

Sultan5000

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Long story, but bottom line is:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\clsid got deleted in XP Home Edition. Possibly, interface folder as well but not sure...

I have XP legally, and have the Key# for it but no disk came with computer. I backed up the registry using System Mechanic before the boo-boo, and tried to restore. System Mechanic then told me to reboot.; however, XP now will not get past the login(no login box).

I installed 2000 as a secondary operating system, so I can easily get in to the files.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Sultan5000!

Let's see if you can boot into Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt. To do this, turn on your computer and start hitting the F8 key about once a second until you get a screen showing that allows you to choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt. If you are able to get there, then type the following:

C:\Windows\System32\restore\rstrui.exe.

This will open SYSTEM RESTORE. Follow the onscreen instructions and choose a Restore Point to a time before you accidentally deleted the registry entries. After you have selected the restore point, the computer will then reboot and will attempt to restore your computer back to that time frame. Let me know how it goes.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 03 February 2006 - 08:17 PM.

Sultan5000

Sultan5000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you, Fenor

I managed to make it this far:

...entry point RegSaveKeyExW could not be located in...ADVAPI32.dll

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
At what point of the restore process did you get this mesage?

Fenor

Sultan5000

Sultan5000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
When I tried to get to the program through safe mode/DOS prompt I couldn't. It kept telling me there was a Windows2000 file missing even though I was trying to get to it through XP.

So, I booted up 2000 and went to DOS prompt, and tried running rstrui.exe. SRRSTR.dll was missing, so I found one and replaced in RESTORE folder. I ran again and the RegSaveKeyExW missing came up quickly.

Edited by Sultan5000, 04 February 2006 - 10:52 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You saying that when you installed 2000, you put it in the same directory that windows XP is stored in? That being C:\Windows????? Please tell me you did not do this, that you either changed the directory when you installed 2000 or you installed it on a different partition altogether.

Fenor

Sultan5000

Sultan5000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No, I won't tell you that I did that LOL. I told it to use a different partition. It created 2000 inside a WINNT folder. Everything in the Windows folder(XP) seems to be unaltered--I checked and the creation dates are still from 2 years ago.

Sultan5000

Sultan5000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Here's where I stand:

I was instructed by the eMachine folks to download the XP Home Setup files from Microsoft. I have installed the 6 setup disks successfully and have run REPAIR with no problems.

When I select XP HOme, though, it is still trying to load 2000 and subsequently tells me that a system32 file is missing.

Once again, I did not load 2000 into the Windows directory. I do not know why this is trying to load 2000.