Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

NT32.exe file missing for good?

• Please log in to reply

SteveChubbs

SteveChubbs

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey

This is a little bit lenghtly so please bear with me. Two weeks ago, I have cut on my Compaq computer to make some beats and a screen came up and said that my nt32.exe file was missing or corrupted, so I can not boot up windows xp. It ask me for the set-up (recovery) disk which I found today. As I put in the disc, it gives me four options. I tried to save my hard drive but my space is too small and the other option is to completely wipe out the whole hard drive :) . My first question is what can I do to get my system back up and running for my Compaq computer with Windows XP.

Second, I took that same hard drive out of the computer and made it a slave (F Drive) onto my Powerspec computer to see if I can transfer the files over so I can erase that hard drive and start over. I ran three anti-spyware and virus programs and the drive is clear of bad things :) However, the files I want is in a folder that has a password protection on it :tazz:. I know the password but I can't pull up that option. My second question is... is there a way for me to access the folder I need on my slave drive to save my files? :)

Advertisements

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Not necessary to reformat. When you enter you xp CD and boot from it. Press enter and then press F8 for the liscense agreement.....then....does it detect a previous version of windows? If it does...it will ask you to repair it....go ahead and repair it and it should replace the missing or corrupt file with a new one.

Note: after you do this you'll have to do all your windows updates again.

second note: before you do this....while the drive is already in the other computer. Go to start-run and then type in CMD. In the command line type in chkdsk x: (where "x" is the drive letter of the drive in question) /r

This will run a lengthy check disk on your drive. It may find errors. If it finds bad sectors....you need a new drive anyway. If it finds orphaned files and such things then it may actually solve the problem all on it's own. Try it before you do the repair I just stated.

SteveChubbs

SteveChubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thx nait dawg i am about to go tried the start-run option you gave me

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
let me know if it works

SteveChubbs

SteveChubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I tried the start-run command chkdsk and it didn't work. when i installed the HD back into the compaq, the computer said that the "windows/system32/config/system was missing or corrupted. I tried the recovery disk and it didn't fix it. I'm stuck again :tazz: :) :)

SteveChubbs

SteveChubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I also forgot that when i put in the recovery disk for the computer, it says Windows 98 instead of XP and my OS is XP and not 98

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Well....your only option is to do a manual system restore of the "System" registry hive, which is sort of complicated and requires a boot CD like a bart's PE or something. Or. To format reinstall. What did it say when you tried to run the "chkdsk"?

SteveChubbs

SteveChubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
When I ran chkdsk, it said that the bad cluster system32/config/system was fixed but when I reinstalled the HD back to the Compaq, it didn't fix the problem. I did get my hands on a XP Home Edition disc. But that didn't work either. I tried to reboot in safe mode, no go. Tried to install XP over again, no go. Also tried to reformat using PC boot disc, still no go. However I did a repair with the XP disc and I got a blue message saying that there is a registry error and i have to cut off the BIOS memory. Question: Do you think I can run a registry fix or cleanup then a XP repair to fix the problem because the way things are looking, I might not be able to access this HD or its folders again. :tazz:

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
An XP repair IS a registry fix. It erases the registry and rewrites it. If the chkdsk found errors on the drive and couldn't fix it...the drive is bad. IF you can't open the folders after plugging it into another computer the only way to get your data back is to run a data recovery program. Something like spinrite or something similar. Sorry....not much else you can do for that drive.