Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP and McAfee Virus Protection

• Please log in to reply

titansmatt

titansmatt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently downloaded the McAfee Virus Protection Suite 7.0. After downloading, I can no longer get on the internet and Windows will lock up. I have a highspead dialup that will show a connection, but the broser will come up, even after manually clicking on it. Now since I can't get on the internet, the virus program is not updated because I have not registered yet with McAfee. Can anyone help?
Thanks.

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Copy this:

%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Go to the run box:

Start -> Run

Now paste what you have copied in the run box. To copy highlight what I have bolded, and do either(hold Control and press C) or (Right-click and click Copy). To patse, do either (hold Control and press V) or (Right-click and click Paste).

Click Next. Select the latest date right before you installed the software, then click Next. If you are sure that you want to do this then click Next.

Now I would recommend that you dont install it again. Instead download AVG Anti-Virus, its free and it does a much better job then Norton and McAfee. Hope that this helps

titansmatt

titansmatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The 'system restore' would not work. I tried every available date for the last 3 months, and after rebooting, it was say 'system unable to restore'.

Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks.

einsteins dad

einsteins dad

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
[removed]

Edited by admin, 18 February 2005 - 04:18 PM.

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
You can try on repairing the Windows Install. I cant remeber all the steps, but just place the Windows XP CD in the computer and restart. Make sure that the computer boots from the CD before the Harddrive, in the BIOS. When you are asked to Press A Key To Boot From CD do so. It will start the Windows Recovery Console. Press the key that starts the repair(sorry dont remember since its been sometime I have done a repair). Hope that this helps.

einsteins dad

einsteins dad

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
[removed]