Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1st Time Overclocker.....need help!

• Please log in to reply

ATG

ATG

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hello,

I have never over clocked any of my systems before. Never figured it was worth the risk, however I am in the process of building a new high end gaming system (should be done in about a month).

So for the 1st time I am willing to try over clocking my current system. I have never felt that I was getting all that I could out of my current system.

I have been reading some post and searching the net for easy ways to do this but am not sure how or where to do this.

Current system is: AMD 32bit 2700+ with AIW ATI x800xt gigabite mother board (think modle is GA-7av or something like that). Also have standard power supply and 1.25gig kingston 400MHz (which only runs at 333MHz due to FSB on motherboard).

Is there a easy way to overclock this system???

Any help would be good

Thanks

ATG

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Gigabyte motherboards have always been easy to overclock. In the BIOS there is usually ways to overclock the cpu, memory, agp, and FSB separately. Thre is also a overvoltage way to overclock but i have burnt a few MB's that way. Don't get carried away if you overvoltage because all it takes is one more stepup and the MB is toast.

SRX660

afg34

afg34

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Read this before you do it. It will help you a bit.

http://www.neoseeker...Guides/OCguide/

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for the feedback. I will check out Bios 1st and see what I can change.

And I will read that link yall put there as well. I don't want to push it to much but would like a bit more out of this system.

Thanks again

ATG

Update: I read that link you put there and man that was some great info in there. Later today I guess I will noise around in BIOS and just see if any of it rings a bell. I am a little leary about messing to much in BIOS other than what I know for sure.

Does any one have any recommendations on preffered way to overclock (like just kick up FSB or just change multipl...ect....)

ATG

Edited by ATG, 06 February 2006 - 09:06 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can use something like clockgen if you can find the verion for your mobo, personally i start by lowering the multiplier a couple of notches, then i up the voltage a tiny amount, then i start slowly ramping up the FSB, occasionally ill overclock it with the multiplier left as is if i want alot of speed and i have the ram voltage up high enough to take it, dont do that often, havent overclocked tis system much since i got it i usually leave it at stock it goes up above 2.5Ghz and it will push 2.7Ghz if i want it too just using the stock cooler. Dont do it too much anymore though.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
How do I tell if this program will work my mob.....?

Does this program have a web site that will list the mob's it works with??

And messing with the multiplier, volts ect......this is done in BIO's correct??

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
CAn be done using software or in bios, just google for it, google is great it can answer almost any question you know.

In my sig there is the link for cpu-z clockgen is made by the same folks so you can get it from that site.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well I did look up clockgen....but my current MOB is not listed so I guess this program will not work.

Still readin about the CPU-Z Update: well I don't see a listing of mob's on this site.....ony processors and chip sets...does not look like this program will work with my current system either.....any other thoughts ??

Edited by ATG, 07 February 2006 - 01:43 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
CPU-Z is system detection it works for everything, clockgen is obviously more specific as it needs to know the exact chipset and the bios to overclock properly. Some of them are listed as a general chipset like it has all the NF4s listed as compatible.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
so the CPU-Z will work with my system as well I take it. Is this program just a benchmark program??

If so should I download it and run the program and list the results on this post for you to check out??

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you know what the speeds are supposed to be if they are wrong post them if not dont bother. CPU-Z is just system detection tells you what you have and its clock speed.

ATG

ATG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
ok cool will download it tonight after work and run it...if anything looks out of the norm I will post it here...

ATG