Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ghost 2005 - Problem cloning

• Please log in to reply

RhoXS

RhoXS

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I previously used Ghost 2002 to periodically clone my hard drive as a backup. Ghost 2002 ran from DOS and a floppy and was very reliable. I never had a problem with the cloned drive not being a true bootable clone.

For a number of reasons, using the floppy/DOS method has become much less practical. Norton System Works 2005 has a Windows version of Ghost that supposedly allows me to "Copy One Drive to Another". It states that "it duplicates your drive directly to another drive." I have tried using this on two machines running Windows XP. In both cases the duplication process seems to proceed normally. However, when I test the backup drives, they boot only up to the blue splash screen that appears directly after the screen with the moving dots and just before the desktop. At that point nothing else happens.

I am hoping someone has some advice as to how to make this work and create a true clone. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Cap

Cap

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Let me understand. You're using Norton Ghost 2005 interactively within XP as opposed to a boot disc. Next, you are cloning the drive to another source. What is that source? (DVD, ext drive, firewire, usb) Then you are taking that image and cloning it to where? Back on the same drive/machine? A different drive/machine? If a different drive/machine, are they identical?

RhoXS

RhoXS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, I am using the Ghost 2005 Windows GUI interface.

The back up drive is a 120 Gig SATA HDD in a Vantec removable rack. The primary drive is a 160 Gig SATA but there is only 90 Gig of data on it so the 120 Gig backup drive is more than sufficient. I use a Vantec removable rack so my backup can be 100% ielectrically isolated from any harm that comes in the way of my computer (virus, attack, electrical transient, hurricanes, etc.).

In the past, when I used to do this from a DOS boot disk, I would pull the cover off the case, plug the power connector into the backup drive, and then clone the primary HDD to the backup drive. This worked great but the inconvenience of taking the side cover off caused me not to back up as often as I would have liked to. Also, I am now using the same procedure to backup my wifes computer. Using a DOS boot disk and getting into the hardware is more than she feels is reasonable. Additionally, it was possible, using the DOS interface, to inadvertently back up the backup drive to the primary drive as the drive names do not appear. The windows interface shows the drive names so the chance of making this fatal error is minimized. Therefore the Windows interface has many advantages.

Cap

Cap

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have not used the Ghost Ver 9.0 that comes with 2005 Premier in the WInXP GUI. I was hoping to be of some value to you, however I still use the DOS 98 version boot disc (CDROM) formula with the new USB and IEE1394 drivers and clone to an external firewire 120gb.

This is some suspicion that the physical characteristics of the drive itself are imbedded in the clone file. I wonder if your two drives were identical (size, shape, make, model, et al) if you'd be experiencing this issue? Just thinking out loud.

I was hoping to be of some help to you but it looks as though I'm not the right guy. Sorry.

RhoXS

RhoXS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for trying! My wife's computer uses IDE drives. In her case I have had the same problem but the two drives are identical 120 Gig Western Digital IDE drives.

Again, thanks for trying.

Cap

Cap

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thank you for helping me!!

I was going to experiment with 9.0 however if my current DOS routine ain't broke, I'm not going to fix it. :tazz:

Another thing I have noticed. When I make a ghost file clone of my lap top drive (not an image file, but an actual partition clone), then clone that partition to my other two indentical lap tops, start up them up, Norton makes me re-initialize or activate every time in order for NSW to work, including NAV. That's what led me to believe that Norton is grabbing some physical unqiue ID from BIOS or something in the clone or image file and checks it against what machine the clone or image has been installed to. If it doesn't match, things happen.

After several sucjh clonings, my number of allowed activations ran out. After nearly an hour with Symantec customer non-service (ranks right up there with SONY) the issue has been cleared...for the time being.

hiswaypa

hiswaypa

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I too have seen this problem. I have try to restore and also the drive copy. My issue is wheni try to up grade to a larger drive, it give me a messages:

"The drive copy did not complete successfully. Cannot copy the source drive to destination location error E0BB0090, cannot resize partition. The modification to the partition starting on sector 63 will cause the partition to not be cylinder aligned"

Has anyone seen this before?

ramet

ramet

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ghosting image kills Harddrive

I have 2 120gb haddrive in my system both partition to 2 60gb each. I tried to clone my C: Drive to my other hd's first partition H: drive.

I am using ghost 9.0 which suppose to support this operation in windows xp. First I formated H: drive to make sure it is clean. Started Ghost and follow the directions and started the cloning. Right after I click on start.. I got this error:
Description: Cannot complete copying of (C:\) drive. Invalid destination.
Error E0BC0002: Object SME~Computer~BgM2411369249Region-0~SM2411369249Region-0-1 not found.
Details: 0xE0BC0002

Now my computer can't even detect my Maxtor HD, I dont see it in the bios. I check to make sure the bios is set to auto detect. Am I seeing a dead drive here? Any ideas?

steve.darke

steve.darke

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Ghosting image kills Harddrive

I have 2 120gb haddrive in my system both partition to 2 60gb each. I tried to clone my C: Drive to my other hd's first partition H: drive.

I am using ghost 9.0 which suppose to support this operation in windows xp. First I formated H: drive to make sure it is clean. Started Ghost and follow the directions and started the cloning. Right after I click on start.. I got this error:
Description: Cannot complete copying of (C:\) drive. Invalid destination.
Error E0BC0002: Object SME~Computer~BgM2411369249Region-0~SM2411369249Region-0-1 not found.
Details: 0xE0BC0002

Now my computer can't even detect my Maxtor HD, I dont see it in the bios. I check to  make sure the bios is set to auto detect.  Am I seeing a dead drive here? Any ideas?

View Post

Same problem here. My image WILL not restore the original disk or a new disk I am trying to use it with. Both times it has started to copy, but never finishes and I am left without file structure on the new try.

I can still see the drive in my bios though...

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
what I recomend is that you guys make a bart pe cd to boot from. http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

I have also downloaded bart pe from emule (just the p2p file sharing program that I prefer) and burned it to cd. what I gives you is the ability to boot to windows xp from cd. most peope include ghost32 on it. This is how I dupe drives at work all the time.

also please run a checkdisk before makeing an image. also, under options, set force cloning.

while it is possible to ghost one drive to another while in windows. its not avisable to do this with the boot drive while being booted into the os. Hence why I suggest bart pe.

Starjax

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ramet, maxtor has a patch for systems that have drives over the size limitation. its called the "big drive enabler". it essentially has to patch the lba in the os.

http://www.maxtor.co...s&downloadID=11

starjax.