Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

flickering browsers

• Please log in to reply

Periergeia

Periergeia

• Pip
  • 2 posts
LiveChat sent me here when they and Toshiba tech support couldn't help. I have a Toshiba satellite laptop from about two years ago. Last week, my Firefox started flickering rapidly from a window covering the entire laptop screen to one slightly smaller, jumping everywhere. I deleted and redownloaded it, but the flickering continued. The same happened when I tried to use Netscape and IE. It happened (only once) to my "My Computer" window as well. In addition, my computer keeps beeping, and once (for about an hour) the keyboard stopped working. That passed, but my browsers still act up almost every time I open them. Hitting the Ctrl key stops the flickering, but whenever I open a new window, it begins again, and it always beeps. Toshiba's tech support thought it was a hardware issue, though they didn't seem to know what they were talking about. I've checked for malware: AdAware did find spyware last week, and included a special warning about "registry keys," but deleted everything, and no scan I've run since has picked anything up. I'm d/ling an anti-malware program LiveChat directed me to, but I wanted to get some advice here as well, because it's starting to seem more like a hardware issue when no program is picking up on any viruses. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? I was going to take it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy, because my options (in Pittsburgh, sans car) are pretty limited, but if anyone here knows any place better to take it, some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if by flickering you mean..the screen keeps going blank...then..yeah probably hardware..but you describe the window as resizing itself? going from maximized...to slightly smaller..then back again...accompanied by a beep...right?

Periergeia

Periergeia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, resizing itself, not going blank.