Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computers power cuts out

• Please log in to reply

rob111

rob111

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I know their are similar threads covering this topic but the fixes on them haven't fixed my problem, and haven't addressed some fairly specific symptoms my computer is exhibiting. I would be forever greatfull if someone recognizes the source that is causing my computers power to cut out and suggest possible remedies.

Symptoms

Computers power cuts out when I run Norton Anti-virus or other virus scanning software.

Computers Power cuts out when I run Vegas and when I try to Capture video or other fairly complexes computing or when I transfer large batches of files from hard drive to hard drive. (it lets me play online poker fine)

After the power cuts out once - it usually has a hard time rebooting windows – sometimes it will go directly to the set up screen before windows loads and when I go to exit that It will go to a black screen and nothing will happen. or windows will load up but the power will cut out almost automatically.

Usually I have to leave the computer for 10-20 minutes and then it will boot up fine after that. (maybe an overheating problem ?)

sometime when the power cuts out the screen just goes black, but I can still hear the computers fan and the power seems fine.

I thought it might be my power supply - I bought a new one but the same thing is happening.

My computer will not load up in safe mode. I have run "clean up" and have managed to erase my temp internet files, but other virus detection programs cause the power to cut out.

Can anyone give me diagnosis from this information?

Thanks, Rob

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi rob111...

Let's take a look at the temperatures and voltages...

Download Speed Fan (Click on the SpeedFan 4.27 link in the second paragraph), install it, and run it to monitor voltages and temperatures.

Post back with the temperature readings right after you start up the machine and after it has run for a while. Just keep an eye on the voltages...if you see fluctuations of more than .5 volt, let me know.

wannabe1

rob111

rob111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thankz - it looks like the temp is the problem - I ran norton virus scan and whatched the temp fairly rapidly rize from 63-67c up to 97C where the power cut out. If this is the problem what should I do to fix it?

Thanks a million! Rob

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
rob111...

Is this a lap-top or a desk top? Just looking at the startup temps, I'm guessing lap-top. You need to clean the CPU cooler with compressed air (available wherever they sell computers). On a lap-top, the CPU should be very close to air vents on the machine...usually on the bottom. Blow that area out good and see if the temperature drops. You might also look into a Lap-top Cooler to improve airflow to the CPU.

If it is a desktop, power down and unplug the machine. Open the case and blow out the cooling fins and fan over the CPU...blow out the Power Supply while you're at it...just give it a good cleaning. Be careful not to touch anything you don't have to and please don't remove the Processor or the cooler from the processor...that could lead to real headaches... :tazz:

wannabe1

rob111

rob111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thankx I'll give that a go - I tryied a vacume but I can still see alot of dust caked on to the cooler.

rob111

rob111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tryied that and got a wack of dust but the tempiture is still sky rocketing. The fan doesn't seem to be kicking up a gear, isn't the fan supose to kick up a gear when it gets that hot? Mabey I need a new fan or mabey it's settings are off?

thanks rob.