Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Diary of a Dying Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

SteveChubbs

SteveChubbs

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey Ya!

Question: I tried to fix my dying hard drive and I get a system error message stating that I have a registry error on the HD :tazz: . Would it be smart if I took that HD, made it a slave to another computer, run registry cleaner, reinstall the HD on my old computer and try to repair it again? My 50 page Sociology paper on boring Marx is in there and it's due Sunday @ 4pm :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
SteveChubbs...

I would think it would be a safer option to slave the drive and get your important documents off the drive while you can. Then put the drive back in the original machine and either try the repair (knowing your documents are safe) or format and reinstall windows.

wannabe1

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It will be pointless since the registry dynamically created when you boot,,,installing as a slave will not allow you the clean the registry of the slaved drive.

You will be able to retrive your Marx paper though

SteveChubbs

SteveChubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thx to the both of you for your great support. I was able to get my system32 file back in check and windows repair. Although the system made me create different users again. my computer is running but there is one more problem. I was able to save my paper and work, but the folder that it is in was on my private user files and there was a password to open the files. :) So now I can not open the folder that contains the information and the paper I need. :tazz: I know the password but is there anyway that i can crack open that folder which is not shared by the rest of the computer to get my paper out?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
xp pro or home?

SteveChubbs

SteveChubbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
it's XP Home

But i figure it out, I'll like to thx ya for helping. I was able to go into safe mode and make that private folder accesible again. :) :tazz: