Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Images/Web Pages Not Displaying Correctly

• Please log in to reply

jags022

jags022

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have searched similar topics but have not found the specific problem that I have. Certain web sites (including this one) initally do not display correctly until I click on a link on the page then hit the back button and the page displays correctly. Specifically, gif & jpg images do not display & the text, paragraphs, etc. do not look right until I go back. Also, If I copy and paste the url of the image directly in a new window, the image will display correctly. This problem only affects IE version 6.0.2600.0000.CO. If I use Firefox there is no problem. Also, Outlook Express 6.0 displays a red X in place of images in messages, not sure if this is related or not. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
red Xs in Outlook Express instead of images is usually a permissions thing. In Win98 I think you can uninstall and reinstall IE. Have you tried that? How do you connect to the Internet? How old is the computer, did it ever work properly, and when did the problem begin? Have you installed any ad blocking software? I know I have lots of questions, but I'm fishing for more clues.

Johanna

jags022

jags022

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the quick response. To answer your questions: 1. I have not tried to re-install IE yet. 2. I connect w/ DSL . I just recently upgraded from 56K dialup but I had the problem before then. 3. The computer is approx. 8 - 9 yrs old, P3 450, still works OK. 4. I cannot remember a specific time when the problems started. 5. I do have ad blocking software from earthlink, Hmm ? I have attached a screenshot of what this page looked like before I hit the back button. Hope it works. It might be of some help. Thanks again for your time.

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot1.gif
  • screenshot1.gif

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Its not a permission thing or the pics wouldn't show up at all.

When was the last time you cleared your cache?

Try emptying it either manually and delete everything or use the link below to download a little app that will do it selectively so you can keep your cookies.

CleanUp40

jags022

jags022

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried clearing my cache & still have the problem. I think the key to the problem is that the page will display perfectly after I click on a link on that page, then hit the back button & everything is good. It's like the initial scripting is not recognized by the browser until I go back. Also, I have enabled script error notification & get the following errors: 'img_item' is undefined , object unexpected

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
OK lets try repairing IE

start/
control panel/
add remove programs/
click IE and you will see a button the the right giving you a repair option/
click it and let it do its thing.

IF you don't have IE as a listing you will need to download and reinstall

jags022

jags022

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I downloaded & installed a newer version of IE 6 and problem solved. Thanks to everyone for all the help.