Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer refuses to start up

• Please log in to reply

normis1977

normis1977

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

I'm running Windows 98. My computer was bouth second hand and I've been using it for a year or less. When I start it up, it runs some Gateway disgnostic mumbo jumbo and then stops there after some whirling sounds and stuff. I can't get it to start Windows.

Usually, I got around this problem by unplugging the power cable and then replugging it after a few minutes. But nowadays even that doesn't work. What now>

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,489 posts
Just a guess, but from your description it sounds like you need a new power supply. They're about $40 for a standard power supply, and not to hard to replace if you take note of where the power cords are connected.

normis1977

normis1977

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I meant - the computer does start up technically, but it just stops there at the first screen and doesn't go on to start Windows. Would that still be a power supply problem?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,489 posts
More than likely. Does it say the configuration has changed, press F1 for startup or F10 to continue? If so, try a battery. If not, probably the power supply.

A local computer shop will have a power supply tester that can confirm the diagnosis before you replace it.

normis1977

normis1977

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks... taking it out now. I'll let you know if it worked. <_<

normis1977

normis1977

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It turned out to be the network card... I got it changed and everything was eachy, had a RAM upgrade while I was there. But thanks for the help anyway!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,489 posts
Glad to hear you got it working!

I'm afraid in the essence of time, we sometimes jump to conclusions, and ignore some basic troubleshooting tips. I really should have had you strip the system down to the bare components (CPU, memory, mobo, PS, video). Test, and then if it booted, begin adding components until the offender is identified. Removing everything and bench testing is the best option, but more work unless you have reason to suspect a case short.