Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop doesnt startup

• Please log in to reply

M a f i a

M a f i a

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
hi i dont know if this should be here but iv hit a major problem. my laptop yesterday suddenly stopped working. it appears that the computer loads the bios then the error occurs and i get options to either work in windows normally or the safemode options. when i startup windows normally it resarts then goes back to the screen with the options . the same thing occurs the the safe mode options. i cannot use the laptop now because it doesnt enev start up. please help.

i can send a short videoclip to show you wat i mean

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Do you have a bootable windows install cd or recovery cd? You may have to access the bios to change the boot order in order to boot to it. You can then try system restore or repair install. http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

M a f i a

M a f i a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
thanx for your reply. i dont have a bootable xp cd. could i just borrow one from my mate if they have one? if i reinstall windows then would this delete all my data?

FireDivine

FireDivine

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Just try continue running windows normally and see what happens.

M a f i a

M a f i a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
it appears that the hard drive has been totally wiped. after going into the recovery mode (didnt proceed with recovery) a screen showed up detailing the partitioning of my c: and said that the capacity of the hard drive is 11507mb which is correct then next to it was written in bracket to shows how much of the hard drive was free (11507mb)

M a f i a

M a f i a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
i have no choice but to reinstall windows xp and start from scratch. lucky that i had already saved some of the files a week before. i still do not now what the cause of the problem was