Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Raid 0 Disk Recovery

• Please log in to reply

imy300

imy300

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I've had a problem with my HDD that are part of a raid 0 disk.
I have 4 80GB disks in a raid 0 set. After a few system crashes and HDD failures (due to dodgy ide cable) i got my system up and running.
But now one of the raid 0 drives is not being picked up as part of the raid set. It has come up as a normal disk and the the one for the raid set is showing as missing.
The attachement of disk management shows this a bit better. Disk 2 and the missing disk are the same disk.

Is there anyway to re-add disk2 to the raid 0 set ?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• disk_management.JPG

Edited by imy300, 07 February 2006 - 01:55 PM.

Advertisements

imy300

imy300

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Is there no one out there that can help ?
I know all the data is still there i've used some demo software to find it, but cannot retrieve it coz its striped over the other 3 disks as well.
Can anyone point me in the direction of some software that can do what i need free or paid for.

Thanks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
From what i know of RAID 0 arrays there is almost nothing that can be done to repair a fault, they are very fragile thats why they are dangerous and we dont reccomend them as the performance boost is insignificant and of course any problem and the data is all gone as you cant really rebuild them easily.

imy300

imy300

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
When you say cannot rebuild them easily does that mean not at all or there are ways.
I know the chances are slim but im looking for any way however slim the chances might look.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can if you set up a nested or a RAID1 or RAID5 array but not on a straight RAID0 i would reccomend a Raid 1 array you get less space but its still good performance and its got the data integrity.

Raid really isnt worth it for most users unless its a server i wouldnt bother and if its a server RAID0 is inappropriate.

imy300

imy300

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok, im not sure what a nested raid 1 or 5 array is, but how would i set it up in XP and how do i add my current drives into it ?

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
I can't really read your thumbnail but with a four drive array, you are probably SOL re: most RAID repair tools. You may be able to open up the management console, go to disk management, right click on the problem drive and select import foreign disc. If no go - I'll have to go along with warriorscots comments. Good Luck ...
:tazz:

Edited by Rockster2U, 11 February 2006 - 07:43 AM.

imy300

imy300

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok guys thanks for all the help and advice.