Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bt broadband disconecting

• Please log in to reply

rpandya

rpandya

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi
I used to be with Bulldog Broadband, and changed recently back to Bt broadband because Bulldog were completely rubbish. I recommend not to go with bulldog.

Because I was with Bt before i had the old modem called 'Bt Voyager USB'. I have the 1mb speed.
I have no problem about the speed, it is just that every five minutes I get disconnected. Even while writing this, I have been disconnected.

Please can you help me, I have tried calling them but their call centres are in India and they don't know anything, and they tell us what we already know! :)

Ravi :tazz:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
USB modems are often cheap racked off pieces of junk that react badly to system fluctuations and demands. They also are painfully greedy with USB bandwidth and complain bitterly at you if they can't connect.

Beg or borrow an Ethernet rmodem from a friend and see if fortunes improve. You could always consider a router as well which takes all the work out of configuring the internet every five minutes and remembering usernames and passwords.

Edited by Neil Jones, 04 February 2006 - 02:31 PM.

rpandya

rpandya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you Neil

But what is an ethernet modem?
and
Do you think if I switch to another ISP it will be better?

Thanks again

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
An ethernet modem connects to your ethernet port rathern than a USB port.

Posted Image

note the differnt plug and different port on the computer

Edited by DeSade, 05 February 2006 - 06:22 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

But what is an ethernet modem?

A modem that plugs into the network port on the back of the computer.

Do you think if I switch to another ISP it will be better?

Its unlikely to be an ISP issue because I've had no end of issues with my broadband provider on the USB modem and the quality and ease of the connection has improved a lot since I threw the USB modem in the direction of my "not for use unless you have no other options" pile and put a router in.

As I write this, my router has been connected now on this connection attempt for eight hours straight without dropping. I'd be lucky if the USB modem held the connection for eight minutes sometimes. My router connection will drop on occasion as I'm borderline as it is for a 512k connection. But its reliable enough.

rpandya

rpandya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi,
But previously I had Bulldog and used a speed touch modem, but had no problem about it disconnecting just a problem about the speed.

Also, there are other people, I have seen on forums, which have the same problem with BT - mainly with the 1.1Mb. (the one which I am using)

So, i was just wondering whether I should switch to another Isp because this problem seems to maninly with Bt.

Thanks again

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its the router not the ISP, had the problem know other people with the problem it was the router every time replacing it with a good one fixed it up for everyone.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

Also, there are other people, I have seen on forums, which have the same problem with BT - mainly with the 1.1Mb. (the one which I am using)

Was this an upgrade from a 512k connection that was previously working?

I ask because quite a lot of people have had issues with their broadband after upgrading to a 1Mb package when previously a 512k conenction worked flawlessly. It turns out that these people have been mistakeningly marked as being able to have a 1Mb connection, being given one and then finding out that its unstable and unusable.

rpandya

rpandya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi there

Yes I was previously with the 512k with Bt, infact I think it was 576k.

I then moved to Bulldog, and now im back with bt.

Thanks

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
That's probably it then, lots of people have been caught out this way.

It may well be that you've been flagged as being able to support a 1Mb connection due to the upgrades and the only thing you can do is call BT up and ask to downgrade to a 512k connection.

Bulldog uses an entirely separate network from BT, one which is more reliable (as BT's network dates back many many years in some areas), so its no surprise that you got a better speed there than you would on BT.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Or you could just get a new router that can take the extra speed, they really dont cost much and arent as big a fire hazard. They generally up the speed as long as your line can take it, i got upgraded from 512 to 2.2Mbps and the 205 couldnt hack it(could barely do 512) new router works great much faster safer and i have wireless now couldnt be happier.

BT pretty much assume most people dump the piece of crap routers they give you in favour of a third party wireless one(which most do nowadays or you have one allready, they just shouldnt give out routers but everyone else does so they have to as well)

rpandya

rpandya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
hmm

ah right

Well, right now I am waiting for a call back from BT and they should call in the next 24 hours.

This is the second time i hav called because the first time they did not call back.

I'll see what they say...

If they can't help, i'll either get a new router or just switch to www.seriouslyinternet.com theyve got good reviews

Thanks guys

ravi :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
BT is a pretty good ISP its never went down yet and the speeds always good and they dont block certain ports like some do.

If you want a good response from BT use the live chat thing, the guys on that are mostly pretty good, and you understand what they are saying as you cant type in an indian accent.