Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing My Computer IP Address

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

interest

interest

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am not very potent when it comes to computer dialogue but I am wondering how to go about, if it can be done, changing the IP address on my computer? I am using Windows XP and changed the IP address once with the aid of an internet provider technician. He had me install a USB cable and unplug my internent cable from my modem. Now my IP address has since been banned by a website and it seems they continuously ban my IP address the moment I try to register as a new member. With that said, I am no longer interested in registering with them. However I would still like to view the forums threads but to do so, I need to change my IP address again. Does anyone know how to do this or if it can be done with Windows XP? I am currently on the USB connection with the internet connection disabled. Thanks and would appreciate some help with this situation. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Your IP ADDRESS is determined not by you, but by your ISP.

When your computer gets on the Internet, and connects with the ISP, it asks for a IP address lease. The ISP determines what ISP to give you and how long the least will last. If you log in everyday, and the lease was for a week...you will keep the ip address indefinitely

Even if you release your IP, odds are the dhcp server will hold it for you for some time, making it difficult to switch.

Find out the lease length, turn your PC off, and do not turn it again for that amount of time, and perhaps someone else will grab your current IP and be denied access to the forum

interest

interest

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Geeryf thank you very much for helping me out. However there are some points in your reply that I'm not quite clear on and would hope you or someone else might clarift them for me.

Find out the lease length, turn your PC off, and do not turn it again for that amount of time, and perhaps someone else will grab your current IP and be denied access to the forum.

(1) How do I find out the lease time?

"Turn off the computer and don't turn it back on for that ampint of time".
(2) Do you mean after I find out the lease time, leave my computer turn off for that specific amount of time?

"Perhaps someone else will grab my current IP address".
(3) Does this mean that while my computer is off for the lease time period, my current IP address might be assigned to some else's computer and that they will be denied, like I currently am, access to this specific sports forum?

(4) How will I know, when I turn my computer back on after the lease period, if my IP addess has been given to someone else?

(5) If it has been given to someone else, how do I obtain a new IP address?

What's currently happening with me is when I type in 'IPconfig' and then space, followed by '/' and then I type in 'release', I get an IP addess showing 0; 0; 0; 0.
Then I retype 'IPconfig' and then space, followed by '/' and then I type 'renew'. However I keep getting the same IP address I had (not a new one) and still am unable to access this particular sports forum.
Lastly, is this the only way I can obtain a new IP address for my computer since I have already received one using the 'USB' cable, which is currently plugged into the back of my modem? That's what I'm currently on at the present time, with the internet cable unplugged from the back of the modem.

Thanks Again.
Appreciate any help on this matter. :tazz:

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Have you tried using a proxy

interest

interest

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry memberix. Can you please explain what that is and what it might do in my case for a different IP eddress? :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You see, my problem is that I'm not sure I should be helping you if you've made a pest of yourself somewhere.

You seem like a nice fella...why don't you write to the adminsitrators and say you will be good.

ryurek

ryurek

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm going to throw something out there without being absolutely sure about it, hope you'll forgive me if the info isn't 100% accurate...

The IP address is given by your ISP to you via your MAC address. Your modem has an internal mac address that registers with your ISP. The DHCP database maintains your MAC address as acceptible and allows it to connect, holding an IP address for it. Turning off your computer doesn't alter the connected state of your modem, therefor as far as the ISP is concerned you are connected and the IP address is continuously given to you until they feel like changing it. To get a new one, you may have to unplug your modem again until the renewal period comes and goes.

Again, going on 80% knowledge, 10% guessing and 10% babbling, I think your computer gets its IP address from the modem. There might even be 3 places it's held...the modem, the computer, and the NIC card. So when you tell your computer to "release" the ip, what is really releasing it? I don't know. Could be just the computer, could be the computer and the NIC...I really don't think the modem is though. So when you hit "renew" you're just getting the current IP address from the modem.

If someone can clarify these issues here, correct me please...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
close....The isp authorizes a lease of X days on your mac address....When you turn on your machine, your machine notifies the ISP dhcp server it needs an IP Address...the dhcp and your PC have a conversation that goes something like this

PC: Hi, I am machine X with mac address yyyyy. I had ip address zzz the last time I was connected. I would like that ip address, please

DHCP: OK machine x, let me look through my records....ahh, I see that you did have ip address zzz the last time you were on...It was granted on a 7 day lease. We hold that lease for at least half the time of the lease, but it is day four, and we were very busy. Since you were gone for four days, we gave it to machine L, here you can have another ip address mmmmmmmm

PC:thank you, I will take it

DHCP: OK, we will grant this lease for seven days, we will not even consider giving it away to another machine until half the lease period is expired...if we have a need for another ip address, and you are not around, we will give it away, but if we don't need it, the ip address will be there for seven days

PC: thanks

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Gerryf, not sure computers are so polite!!! LOL

Visit the site with another computer not on your network, or use a different ISP, or use a proxy.

If you continue with what the mods feel is inappropriate behavior, they will become more irritated with you, and realize who you are and ban the second third and fourth IP addy you use.

Johanna

interest

interest

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the responses, well maybe at least one as the other seems to be getting a bit nosy, if that's an appropriate term.

First of all gerryf you were the one who first responded to my question or inquiry for assistance. I didn't call your name or ask for your help, so lets get that straight. As for your suggestion that you think I made a pest of myself somewhere else, I think your completely out of line. No where in my initial thread did I mention why my IP address was banned, so don't jump to conclusions as you shouldn't assume something against someone when you don't have a clue what your talking about or the reasons involved the reasons involved for that matter. If you decide or choose not to help me with this, then that's your choice. However the reasons as to why my IP address was banned is none of your business and furthermore the reasons have nothing to do with the information and help I'm seeking. It's comments like your's that do, in fact, stir up [bleep] because you have decided to insert a comment that is strictly out of your league and has nothing to do with my question. Finally if you decide to refrain from helping me, as I said that's your choice, but learn to not stick your nose into places where it doesn't belong. I thought this was a 'geek' forum for assistance in computer aid, but comments like your's lead me to think otherwise. There always seems to be one in every bunch---doesn't there? (By the way I thought you seemed like a nice guy---at first!) Now you still want to help or is it that maybe you don't know how to assist my situation or answer my question positively. :tazz:

Ryurek, thanks for your positive reply and offer to help---much appreciated. In regards to your remark:

To get a new one, you may have to unplug your modem again until the renewal period comes and goes.

Unplug my modem until the renewal period comes and goes? As I mentioned to the othrer guy above (until he decided he wanted to inquire about other things that don't concern him all of a sudden), how long. or better yet how do I know how long the IP address renewal period is or when it ends? :)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I also said you seem like a nice fella, but truthfully, I think I can see why you are always getting banned. I don't mean to sound irritated, but would you like to make it two sites now?

If you become enough of an irritant they can block your entire IP range. Rogers is a large cable provider, but it's broken down into subnets and no matter what IP address you get it will not matter

And, you will note: that I did help.

Consider this topic closed.

So, your welcome.