Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive removal

• Please log in to reply

mmckenna

mmckenna

• Pip
  • 4 posts
If I disconnect physically, my hard drive from my motherboard, then reconnect it, will the hard drive be wiped clean of everything including the operating system?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
No, if you are doing this with a XP computer still running you will probably get a error message and need to reboot the computer. You may not be able to get back into windows but i think it will reload. If you are doing this after you have shut off the computer nothing will happen at all.

SRX660

mmckenna

mmckenna

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have several computers with no recovery discs that I want to get rid of but want the hard drives wiped clean, how do I do this? I don't think XP was loaded on any of them. Window 95, 97 and 98 are on them. XP may have been put onto the one with 98 as an update - which probably caused some problem that lead to us just buying a new computer.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
For a program to wipe the disk:

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

In order to wipe the disk you need to boot from a floppy or cd, since otherwise you can not wipe everything out.

Removing the disk from the systeem will have no effect unless you destroy it after you take it out.

If you reload the OS, the computers might be fine. Depending on the speed of the computer, you might consider donating them. Otherwise check out freecycle, an easy way to get rid of stuff and keep it out of the landfill. Computers are considered hazardous waste and can not be thrown away.

It is poor form to post multiple request for the same issue:

http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=96191

Edited by Kemasa, 04 February 2006 - 04:41 PM.