Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

buying new gaming system

• Please log in to reply

One of a kind

One of a kind

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm in process of upgrading to a better gaming platform. I'm looking to spend $1600 to $1800 w/out monitor. I don't want to build myself. Here's what I've come up with from Cyberpower Systems.

Xplorer mid tower case 420w w/window & LCD temp display
upgrade - antec tpII-550W ATX 12V power supply
(939-pin) AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ dual core cpu w/hypertransport tech
upgrage - AMD Athlon64 certified cpu fan & heatsink + 3 extra case fans
sckt939 ASUS A8N SLI Premium nforce SLI chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-Lan,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&7.1audio

upgrade-2048 MB(1gbx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual channel DDR memory(corsair xms high performance with heat spreader)

upgrade-(2) nvidia geforce 6800 gs 256 mb 16x pci express video cards
upgrade-160 gb SATA-II 3.0GB/s 8M Cache 7200 rpm hard drive
LG GWA-4161 16x DVD+/-R / +/-RW + CD-R/RW Drive Dual layer
Creative Labs SB Audigy SE
600Watt PMPO subwoofer stereo speakers
onboard 10/100 network card
internal 6in1 flash media reader/writer
windows xp-pro w/service pack 2(I assume OEM)
1.44 MB floopy drive(no manufacturer listed)
logitech optical wheel mouse
PS2 multimedia internet control keyboard

total $1824

I'm trying to get a system that will be good now and all me to easily upgrade components in the future. I would try to do that work myself.

1) Any comments...have I combined some things together here that shouldn't be?
2) Any feedback on Cyperpower? From reading reviews it sounds like their customer service over the recent holidays wasn't so good.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me. I just know enough to be dangerous.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I'm in process of upgrading to a better gaming platform. I'm looking to spend $1600 to $1800 w/out monitor. I don't want to build myself. Here's what I've come up with from Cyberpower Systems.

Xplorer mid tower case 420w w/window & LCD temp display
upgrade - antec tpII-550W ATX 12V power supply
(939-pin) AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ dual core cpu w/hypertransport tech
upgrage - AMD Athlon64 certified cpu fan & heatsink + 3 extra case fans
sckt939 ASUS A8N SLI Premium nforce SLI chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/Gb-Lan,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&7.1audio

upgrade-2048 MB(1gbx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual channel DDR memory(corsair xms high performance with heat spreader)

upgrade-(2) nvidia geforce 6800 gs 256 mb 16x pci express video cards
upgrade-160 gb SATA-II 3.0GB/s 8M Cache 7200 rpm hard drive
LG GWA-4161 16x DVD+/-R / +/-RW + CD-R/RW Drive Dual layer
Creative Labs SB Audigy SE
600Watt PMPO subwoofer stereo speakers
onboard 10/100 network card
internal 6in1 flash media reader/writer
windows xp-pro w/service pack 2(I assume OEM)
1.44 MB floopy drive(no manufacturer listed)
logitech optical wheel mouse
PS2 multimedia internet control keyboard

total $1824

I'm trying to get a system that will be good now and all me to easily upgrade components in the future. I would try to do that work myself.

1) Any comments...have I combined some things together here that shouldn't be?
2) Any feedback on Cyperpower? From reading reviews it sounds like their customer service over the recent holidays wasn't so good.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me. I just know enough to be dangerous.

Cyberpower is suppost to be good for customizing a pc and having them build it.

Go on over to http://monarchcomputer.com and check them out also.

One of a kind

One of a kind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks jrm20. Appreciate the info.

I checked them out and liked the overall selection of parts to choose from a little better on Cyperpower.

Do you have any thoughts on the components I put together for my system?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Thanks jrm20. Appreciate the info.

I checked them out and liked the overall selection of parts to choose from a little better on Cyperpower.

Do you have any thoughts on the components I put together for my system?

If you get the amd x2 3800+ now you can always upgrade to the 4800+ in a year when the prices will drop by alot.

There is a new socket for amd coming out later on called the m2 socket and they are planning to implement ddr2 memory support on amd's motherboards now.

If you buy that motherboard and cpu you can only upgrade up to the 4800+ dual core in the future as sockets always change and dont stay the same, therefore you get into incompatability.

You can always upgrade the memory and video card and the cpu up to the 4800+ if you go for the pc you picked out now. Looks like a good overall system. Should be able to bring it down $100-$200 if you looked more and chose different parts.

One of a kind

One of a kind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks jrm20.

I read an article that suggested that the M2 processors won't really have much advantage over the X2 line. It also said that an X2 5000+ is in the works. My thought was that this would give me room enough to get a couple years out of the motherboard. I'd like to get at least 3 years out of it before I reach a point where it doesn't do me any good to try and upgrade components any more.

Do you think I'm giving up a lot by selecting this motherboard? If so what would you suggest?

By the way, this system will be leaps and bounds better than my current 1Mz AMD x86 processor HP Pavillion 8860 machine with it's Via chipset. I upgraded to the max 512 MB ram and to an ATI Radeon 9600 card a while back to get some more life out of it. I get about 15fps when I play DOD and I think I've optimized everything I can.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
i know you don't want to build your own. But just to give you an idea I looked at different sites and i was able to find the parts that could build that pc for about $800 so you are basically buying 2. I think you should seriously consider looking into building your pc. Plus if you build your own it is easier to upgrade just because you know exactly what is in it. 3 years from now you might not remember what ram your mb takes.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If youre up for building its a very fun experience and a useful skill.

One of a kind

One of a kind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Appreciate the sentiment about building my own. I used to do some of that in my younger days. Now I've got a more than fulltime job and a family. I'm lucky to get a couple hours a day to myself. I realize that I pay more for convenience and sacrifice some on selection and self knowledge but it's a trade off I need to make right now. It's been fun to research components and I've taken advantage of the replies you guys have made on other systems listed in here to help me pick a number of these components.

I did do a quick component pricing check and found that I was coming up closer than you to the pricing from the reseller. Based on the exact specs I listed above, I got:

ram - $130/1MB stick x 2
Motherboard - $166
graphic card - $185/card x 2
CPU - $329
power supply - $85
speakers - $23
sound card $28
harddrive - $86(wasn't sure about this price)

It comes up to around $1357. This doesn't include case, operating system, floppy drive, optical drive, extra case fans. Most of the prices I got from New Egg but some from some other web sites. I also found that Xtreme Gear had the exact same system for about $200 less. Which would put it closer to the component pricing. It seams like they must be somehow connected to Cyberpower since they have the same mailing address and remarkably similar web sites.

Stormer

Stormer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm going to buy a new game system too but not too sure what kind to buy.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
well that 1357 is high. number one newegg is not usually cheap with higherend motherboards. go to
outletpc.com or zipzoomfly.com you can deffinetly get that for under a 1000 if you tried hard enough.

Advertisements

One of a kind

One of a kind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks hudihoo.

It's great having knowledgable help at your fingertips. I appreciate your legwork. I'll check out outletpc.com and zipzoomfly.com.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
haha, thats not a bad price at all for what your wanting.

They make all kinds of memory guys. From cheap to valueram to gamers to overclocking memory. I would go for the corsair valueselect or either the corsair xms series. The xms series is more expensive and is more for the overclockers or hardcore gamers.

That price is actually good. Not alot of people know how much the dual cores cost which that is really your price difference. You need to stick with the dual core, dont let anyone tell you any other way. Do NOT get anything slower than the 6800gs by nvidia as it is a high end card and will play any game on high settings of some sort. That is the best all around card for the money. If you start looking at anything lower than the 6800gs the price to performance ratio sucks and you dont end up getting much for your money.

Get 2gb of ram like I said.

One of a kind

One of a kind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I agree with you(jrm20) about both the ram and video cards. Your advice is consitent with what I have seen in reviews and other technical forums.

Any thoughts on combo DVD and CD drives. It saves me some money to only get one optical drive but I'm not familiar with the dual format drives. Any manufacturers/models to steer towards or are they all about the same?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You can get one built for $1400-$1500 already built and high end parts with everything including the operating system.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah dont forget to budget for the OS many people forget about it and its one of the more expensive things to get for a PC, and for a gaming pc you dont get a choice really its windows or well windows and it isnt cheap, MCE2005 is usually the cheapest windows OS to buy new and its just xp with a slightly cooler look really.