Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

buying new gaming system

• Please log in to reply

One of a kind

One of a kind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok, I'll bite.....

Who would you suggest I use to custom build a system for me as opposed to going with reseller like Cyberpower?

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ok, I'll bite.....

Who would you suggest I use to custom build a system for me as opposed to going with reseller like Cyberpower?

They are not really a reseller. They are a custom built site that you pick the parts and they put it together ready to run with the operating system already on.

There is no other type of pc to get but custom built by you, custom built by a company or one already built from a manufacturer like dell, hp, sony.

The custom build computers are alot better than dell,hp,sony etc...

Try http://www.monarchcomputer.com or http://www.buyxg.com/

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
http://www.newegg.com is a good site if you want to pick out the parts and put it together yourself.

One of a kind

One of a kind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Oh...yep. I've already checked those guys out as part of my search. I thought you were talking about more like an individual.

Buyxg is "xtreme gear." They are actually a subdivision of Cyberpower Systems. They sell the same components but only offer a 1 year limitted warranty instead of three. That's who I was referring to in my earlier post where I said they would give me the exact same system as Cyberpower except around $200 cheaper. They are the lowest price I've found from all the custom build sites I've checked out. They also have the most "manufacturer" specific parts listed of the sites I've checked out.

You need to be carefull though. It's not just that they offer 1 year vs the 3 by the parent company, Cyberpower Systems, their warranty is actually totally differently worded and more restrictive.

I checked Monarch and they were more expensive and had more components where they just listed a general spec and were not manufacturer specific, meaning they give you what's in stock when they build your machine as long as it meets the generic spec. For example they promise to give you an nVidia Geforce 6800 GS but they don't tell you whether it's Evga or someone else(Buyxg does some of this also).

I've probably checked out 10 or 12 different custom desktop companies.