Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FireFox Problems

• Please log in to reply

Marshall212

Marshall212

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I have lately downloaded FireFox under the advice of a Malware Forum expert. Well, ever since I downloaded it, FireFox does nothing other than "loading www.yahoo.com..." whenever I open it. This blank window stays like this for literally hours...2 hours is the longest I've ever waited. I'am thinking this is an Internet connection issue. The Internet Explorer works perfectly fine, even though FireFox is set at default. Any suggestions to correct this problem???? Thanks for the help.

Marshall212 :tazz:

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hi there Marshall212, try uninstalling "Firefox" and then reloading it. There might of been a problem with your first installation. (Make sure you have latest version of firefox, if not download a new installtion file anyway)

Uninstalling Firefox:
-----------------------
Goto "Strat"
Then "Control Panel"
Then "Add or Remove Programs"
Look for "Mozzila Firefox (x.x.x)" [x is the version]
Then Remove

Goodluck :tazz:

BeachGaBulldog

BeachGaBulldog

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am also having problems with Firefox. IT WON'T OPEN! I have uninstalled it and reinstalled 3 times. I have Internet Explorer 6, and it runs fine. What is going on? I have registered with Firefox support and was told to read one of their articles, but it doesn't mean a thing to me. I am fairly tech savvy, but even then, some people don't explain things very well. Please help! Thanks!

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Try opening Firefox when offline , and then set the homepage to something else that www.yahoo.com

BeachGaBulldog

BeachGaBulldog

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just tried Firefox offline, and NOTHING. I have never seen this many people having problems with it at one time. There is obviously a huge problem with the software that Mozilla needs to address. I'll use Opera.

Marshall212

Marshall212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi spike_hacker_inc,

I did uninstall FireFox and I'am going to attempt to reinstall the latest version....if it doesn't work do you have any suggestions for a safer Internet browser other than Internet Explorer... Thanks a lot for the help..Let me reinstall FireFox and I'll get back to you soon.

Marshall212

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hi there Marshall212, well I am not sure but there are a few good browsers that are out there, I am just most comfortable with "Firefox" cause i have been using it for years. Here are a few:

Web Browsers

In my oppinion between those it would be:

Opera 8.51 or
Avant Browser 10.1.40

There are others there, maybe you want to try.

Enjoy :tazz:

Marshall212

Marshall212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi spike_hacker_inc,

I reinstalled FireFox and it appears to be working rather nicely...if you don't mind my asking, what exactly is the difference between Internet Explorer6 and FireFox....I'am fairly computer savvy, but from what I've read, I really don't see that much of a difference between the two. Maybe you can tell me more about the difference. Thanks for the help :tazz:
Marshall212

carbuncle

carbuncle

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
I have Avant installed and couldn't be more pleased with it, its fast has its own skins, uses tabbed browsing and has all the useal security tools available.

I wouldn't go back to IE or use anything else at this present time.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
FF obviousy has the obvious features different(skins tabbed browsing) but it also allows the use of plug ins and enhancements which build upon the improved security of FF and make it even more secure and because these are integrated into the browser they are much more efficient. Its faster as a browser and has tweaks and plugins to make it faster. Its much more tweak freindly as well, doesnt throw a hissy fit when you tweak like IE so often does.

I think its just better all round, there isnt any reason for me to use IE other than stupid complanies using IE only sites, but there isnt many and its utter stupidity on there part since more and more people are leaving IE.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hi Marshall212, well Microsoft Internet Explorer is like your standard web browser, nothing speacial. Firefox has many things included as "warriorscot" said. Firefox is just very powerful, its even got a built in pop up blocker. Check out these: Firefox Plugins

FF obviousy has the obvious features different(skins tabbed browsing) but it also allows the use of plug ins and enhancements which build upon the improved security of FF and make it even more secure and because these are integrated into the browser they are much more efficient. Its faster as a browser and has tweaks and plugins to make it faster. Its much more tweak freindly as well, doesnt throw a hissy fit when you tweak like IE so often does.

Cool :tazz:

buknekkid407

buknekkid407

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
NOt sure if it will solve your problems but try tweaking firefox, using the guide here
It speeds it up quite dramaticly so maybe its just going really slow for some reason. Hope that helps!

Edited by buknekkid407, 14 February 2006 - 12:21 AM.

austen

austen

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I have the same problem. I've already reinstalled Firefox several times and it doesn't seem to be working.