Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Backing Up For First Time,

• Please log in to reply

The G

The G

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Right i want to start backing up my Data on my PC so to speak.

Whats the best way to do this ?, i was thinking about just backing up to DVD+RW or whatever. Or using an External harddrive but that would be daft i guess taking it off one drive to another as i would have the same problem as i have now and it would be pointless backing up.

Also when backing up should i do the ''Windows Folder'' first or do the ''Data'' i have first.

Just need some advice really, what do you do ?, thx for any help on this subject.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
DVD backup is good, until you lose the disk or it gets damaged.

External hard drive is good, until either the caddy breaks or that drive fails.

Back up all the important stuff first - your personal documents, etc. Youi have no need to backup anything out of the Windows folder because all that stuff will come back when Windows is reloaded. Don't bother backing up programs or stuff like that - they can be put back later. Its the stuff you can't replace you need to backup which is paramount - this includes email, documents, pictures, music, etc.

A backup routine is only as good as the weakest link; if you was to back up onto a drive that you know is on the way out, that would be your weakest link. Murphy's Law also says that if you do backup onto this faulty drive, your main one will probably fail and then your backup drive will fail.