Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VEGAS 50 SLOWDOWN

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hey, Im currently using vegas 5 to edit my video files. I have a home movie that is 1.5-2 hours long and when im done editig it, it takes about 6 hours to render the file to MPEG2. Then when I try to put it or any other video on a DVD, it takes 6.5-7 hours. I use DVD Architect 2.0 to edit files for DVD and burn them. The rest of my computer is running very fast, but these two programs are increadably slow. If anyone has any info on how to speed either one of them up, be glad to hear it. I have windows XP fully updated and i am running a Dell 4600 PC stock with a DVD burner upgrade.

Thanks

Advertisements

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hi,

what processor and ram have you got?

st22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
how would i check for that? I really don know.

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
right click "my computer" click properties - under general tell me what it says about "computer"

for example my one says

Intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 3.4Ghz -- This is the processor
1.00GB of RAM -- This is the ram

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Pentum 4 CPU 2.80GHz
2.79GHz, 256MB of RAM

Aint much

any way i could make the most of it?

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Rendering a movie 2 hours long to MPEG probably will take 6 hours on your system... it wouldn’t even be that much faster on my one.. Maybe 3 hours... that’s just how it is because of all the processing involved.

I remember a while back a friend of mine was trying to DVD author his movies and it was incredibly slow, we upgraded his 256MB of RAM to 512MB of RAM and the improvement was significant. You will find it beneficial to upgrade your RAM especially if you are video editing.

Also check that you export from Vegas as an uncompressed DV avi file format. This way the conversion from AVI --> MPEG2 will be quicker. If you export a compressed file from Vegas then the conversion from compressed file --> MPEG2 (from experience) goes slower and sometimes doesn’t work.

Upgrading the CPU will improve the rendering/encoding/compressing speeds of video editing and DVD authoring. (I don’t think this would be necessary for you though as the one you have is fine).

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
thanks very much.