Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing a Sata hard drive

• Please log in to reply

williesbest2

williesbest2

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
I've plugged everything into my hard drive and I've plugged the Sata connector into the motherboard, but I don't know where the white part of the Sata Connector goes. The black part goes into the hard drive, but where's the whie part go?

http://65.68.55.12/i...atapwr_conv.jpg
Where does the white part plug into?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Here is a good link for information on SATA, a tutorial

http://www.mechbgon....build/SATA.html

Edited by austin_o, 04 February 2006 - 05:29 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
White part plugs into an available molex (or connector if you will) from the power supply.

Some SATA drives can be powered from the molex alone and will work fine, though using the available adaptor is the "correct" form.

williesbest2

williesbest2

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
Never mind. Stupid Question.

Edited by williesbest2, 04 February 2006 - 05:51 PM.

williesbest2

williesbest2

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
There is a small blue cord coming out of the powersupply. What does this cord go to? The wire is blue and black and it accepts a 3 prong plug. Where does it plug into?

Edited by williesbest2, 04 February 2006 - 05:56 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

There is a small blue cord coming out of the powersupply. What does this cord go to? The wire is blue and black and it accepts a 3 prong plug. Where does it plug into?

Doesn't sound like any standard connector I've heard of... care to post another picture please?
The only thing I can think of is that it's used with an adaptor to power a case fan.

MattMathis

MattMathis

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm new here this is my first post. I'm trying to install a secondary harddrive in my computer. My original is IDE and I have a new SATA HDD and a SATA controller card.

Do I need to have the SATA HDD connected to the card before I try to turn on the PC and add the drivers?

Thanks!

Matt.

williesbest2

williesbest2

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
Never mind. I got the computer to boot up and everything.