Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Not booting after hardware change

• Please log in to reply

Tonofun77

Tonofun77

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I need help!! I recently replaced my CPU/motherboard. Windows XP will not boot!! This was originally an IBM Aptiva that came w/ W'98 disk. Before hardware change, I had used an XP upgrade disk to install XP. I understand that XP can act funny with processor changes, but I have no idea how to get it to boot successfully.

Any ideas? Do I need a startup disk of some kind? If so, where do I get one?

Thanks,

Ryan

Advertisements

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
You would be best to reinstall windows here. Right now windows is looking for the old parts and has no idea the new parts exist.

So you don't lose your data just reinstall xp over the top of the current installation.

your xp cd should be bootable so start the machine with the cd in your drive, hopefully we won't have to change the boot order.

Tonofun77

Tonofun77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've tried booting with the CD, with no success. And I have changed my BIOS settings to boot from CD first, but its still not booting...or promping me to re-install. Will the fact that my XP CD is just an upgrade disk prevent me from re-installing that way? Thanks for the help.

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
I am afraid the only other methods I know involve a format of the drive.

maybe there is another way thou, would be best to see if anyone else posts here before going for the format options.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Tonofun77...

Download the Bootdisk Set from Microsoft (be sure to get the one for your operating system) and create the startup disk set. Use these and your cd to do this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged or incorrect system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

Let us know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 04 February 2006 - 06:28 PM.

Tonofun77

Tonofun77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the help...

I have one more stupid question though...How do I get that bootdisk file to run? Can I burn it CD and have it autorun on startup? Remember that at this point, I can't get into windows at all.

Thanks,

Hardware Rookie

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This startup disk set will be floppies...I hope you have a floppy drive... :tazz:

If you can use them (have a floppy drive), just put disk #1 in the drive and start the machine. Follow the prompts from there and they will boot your machine to where you can run the repair.

This happened because the hardware change was just so drastic (CPU/Motherboard) that the operating system doesn't know quite how to use them. The repair will very likely set things right...

wannabe1

Tonofun77

Tonofun77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just downloaded the bootfile from MS, but I notice the size of the file to be over 4 MB. How can I put ths one file on multiple floppies?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just double-click the downloaded file and feed it a new floppy everytime it asks for one...it will take a total of 6 diskettes. Be sure to label them as order is important.

Tonofun77

Tonofun77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Oh...OK...COOL!!!

I'm at work right now on my laptop that's running Win 2000, so I haven't opened the file for fear of screwing up this computer, too. LOL

Thanks a bunch for the help!!!

Tonofun77

Tonofun77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
And unfortunately, my laptop has no floppy drive...

hmmm...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have access to another machine...perhaps a friend's...that you can make the floppies with?

Tonofun77

Tonofun77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Not really...everyone's gone for the weekend. I wonder if I email to my Yahoo account...maybe I can access it at Kinkos or someplace like that...