Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Ok now dont Laugh

• Please log in to reply

dinofh1

dinofh1

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
The board should take up to a 233 mhz, and I have one, this is all I have to use as a puter in my garage, and I need to wake it up, so can some one tell me in layman terms how to set my jumpers so I can use the 233 (or should I use the 200mhz pentium pro chip I have?) and explaine overclocking, this puter is just for ebay, boards like this no games or anything special, just need it to at least keep up with my poor and slow typing, My p3 seemed to quit on me and I could not get it to boot again for those that tried to help/ remember. Thanks Dino

Advertisements

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
It should write in your motherboard manual or the jumper setting are usualy printed on the motherboard itself.

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Its not as simple as some of the other MB's I have seen, ( no diagram or anything on the case or board that I can see or read) the MB is a e139761, I have it maxed out at 128 ram, Id like to put in a 233, or 200 p pro not sure which is better, I have heard the 200 might be better, and figure out where the jumper settings need to be, where they are and an online schematic if possible. Can this be overclocked, and what are the steps?? I know its old but I am on a shoe sting right now.

Its a Pac Bell multimedia e153 edo ram, any help would surely be appreciated, from there maybe I can get my old puter back up to speed, but I need to read the boards in the meantime. Thanks for the help I know I will get. In summerery P pro 200 or mmx 233?
and help me make this a bit faster by overclocking. Thanks you.

Edited by dinofh1, 05 February 2006 - 06:43 PM.

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Have a look at this and tell me if its what you need

Posted Image

board link

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks, now to get a little deeper, where exactly are the processer jumpers so I can put the 233 set up in? I googled the board but did not come up with what you have/found, maybe this thread will have a happy outcome!! Thanks you!!

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Did you click the link on the bottom of the post?

Scroll down to CPU upgrades
the jumpers are all labeled in related to the diagram at the top

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
diddnt see the link, going now thx

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
well I guess that answers another question, the 200 it is, dosent seem to support the 233, which contradicts other things I have read. do you concur?

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
I would.
The site seems to have all relevant info for this board, I think you can trust what your seeing.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
That board comes from the Pentium 1 era, it will most likely not support MMX and the maximum these boards often supported is a 200Mhz processor.

This is for the simple reason that that board was revised at least six times, each one bearing new revisions and features from the previous revision, but it was considered obselete by Intel to support the newer (at the time) Pentium 233Mhz, and that processor introduced major changes that your board would never be able to support.

200Mhz processors go for literally next to nothing on eBay these days, considering how the entire systems as a whole used to go for 2 grand ten years ago.

Advertisements

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

That board comes from the Pentium 1 era, it will most likely not support MMX and the maximum these boards often supported is a 200Mhz processor.

This is for the simple reason that that board was revised at least six times, each one bearing new revisions and features from the previous revision, but it was considered obselete by Intel to support the newer (at the time) Pentium 233Mhz, and that processor introduced major changes that your board would never be able to support.

200Mhz processors go for literally next to nothing on eBay these days, considering how the entire systems as a whole used to go for 2 grand ten years ago.

Oh I know its an old pc of crap, but I just want it to read message boards and tech article for my car, its a garage unit, and its in my posession, the 233 mmx came out of a p1 pac bell as well, I only kept this one because I had gotten 128 ram, vs 64 in the other, plus the box fit better where i want it, I have a p3 that I will get back to trying to boot up, but this is what I have with my limited time, plus it gives me something to goof with thats all, im not real serious about this macine, just trying to sqeeze the last drops of life out of it.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Find a copy of Windows ME, this runs quite well on it for such an old machine. My board, a slightly earlier revision of the same model, runs ME and it runs a [bleep] sight better than 98SE ever did.

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
You can put an MMX CPU on your board. the Pentium MMX was just marketing
It has the same pin layout as the ordinary Pentium so you can plug it the board. maybe you will need BIOS update.go to http://www.cpuid.com/ download PCWizard and get the model and make of motherboard.

dinofh1

dinofh1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
well the 233 mmx chip I have has the right pin set up, at least it fits, I need to know how to jump it on the board to get the awesome power im xpecting from this upgrade :tazz:

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

well the 233 mmx chip I have has the right pin set up, at least it fits, I need to know how to jump it on the board to get the awesome power im xpecting from this upgrade :tazz:

It's socket 7, its going to fit.

But if the board doesn't support the Front Side Bus speed needed to run it at 233Mhz, then you're going to be out of luck. IIRC my revision of that board only supports a 50, 60 and 66Mhz front side bus speed, which is where the 200Mhz limit comes in.