Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer reboots upon copying from CD-ROM

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
First of all, I do have the "Automatically Restart" option unchecked for when problems occur.

Anyway, whenever I put in a CD, my computer reads it fine. I can browse the contents no problem. But when I start copying files from the CD to my hard drive, it seems to copy ok for about 10 seconds. And then it reboots. I don't get a blue screen or any error message. It just goes to a black screen and then starts to reboot.

Any advice is appreicated.

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
heat? Bad drive?

start > run
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look for Red Xs at the time this occured and report back

Likely bad CD, or bad cd-rom

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
There were no red Xs that had to do with anything other than a network problem I was having that has since been fixed. But I think the CD problem is fixed. I had to change something in BIOS, and I decided to use the "load optimal settings" option. I just tried copying a whole CD over and didn't experience any problems. So hopefully all is good now. Thanks for your help, though.

mike.