Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell XPS400

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Have several problems and Dell techs do not speak enough English or seem not to know the answers to my questions. Am not sure if I can post all at once; if not will repost until I get some responses for each problem. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help - am very frustrated at this point.

1 - I cannot embed any pictures, smilies into my emails in Outlook Express; I get to the browse window and when I click on browse to go to a file - PC freezes up. Have to do a CAD to get back to desktop. Have tried everything I know to remedy this but now am at a loss.

2 - Outlook Express is experiencing various problems
a - am receiving emails with nothing in the TO: From: Subject: lines and nothing in the message
is this some sort of Malware
b - when I write emails am forever getting the MS Error Message - we are so sorry but we have
encountered a technical error and must close this window. You will lose - on and on. The
'so sorry' is just not getting it for me anymore.
c - emails are on occasion repeating themselves

3 - have tried setting the 'startup list' to eliminate so many programs running in the background
but they are not holding - I keep getting the icons on the taskbar back again.

4 - some programs when I minimize them and then maximize back again and close on the desktop, still have the minmized notation on the taskbar. They will not close unless I reboot.

5 - am confused by the listings of the OS on my PC; dxdiag says XP Pro and System Properties lists it as XP Media Center Edition What OS do I have? At time of purchase the salesman gave me a choice of three options: XP Pro XP Home Edition XP Media Center Edition I chose the latter and the resultant notations on my PC confuse me.

Again appreciate any help anyone can give to aid me in enjoying my new computer.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Have several problems and Dell techs do not speak enough English or seem not to know the answers to my questions. Am not sure if I can post all at once; if not will repost until I get some responses for each problem. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help - am very frustrated at this point.

1 - I cannot embed any pictures, smilies into my emails in Outlook Express; I get to the browse window and when I click on browse to go to a file - PC freezes up. Have to do a CAD to get back to desktop. Have tried everything I know to remedy this but now am at a loss.

2 - Outlook Express is experiencing various problems
a - am receiving emails with nothing in the TO: From: Subject: lines and nothing in the message
is this some sort of Malware
b - when I write emails am forever getting the MS Error Message - we are so sorry but we have
encountered a technical error and must close this window. You will lose - on and on. The
'so sorry' is just not getting it for me anymore.
c - emails are on occasion repeating themselves

3 - have tried setting the 'startup list' to eliminate so many programs running in the background
but they are not holding - I keep getting the icons on the taskbar back again.

4 - some programs when I minimize them and then maximize back again and close on the desktop, still have the minmized notation on the taskbar. They will not close unless I reboot.

5 - am confused by the listings of the OS on my PC; dxdiag says XP Pro and System Properties lists it as XP Media Center Edition What OS do I have? At time of purchase the salesman gave me a choice of three options: XP Pro XP Home Edition XP Media Center Edition I chose the latter and the resultant notations on my PC confuse me.

Again appreciate any help anyone can give to aid me in enjoying my new computer.

Please go t the malware forum to begin 1-4...once you ge a clean bill of health, return here

5> xp media...dxdiag was made before there was an xp media and does not know of it's existence so it is misidentifying your program, I suspect.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Thank you so much for your response and direction as to what to do. Am following through

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Finally won a round with Dell - they are sending out a technician to replace my hard drive. So will see now what problems are resolved. Thanks to all who reponded to my questions on this forum and will back if other problems persist.