Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

gcallihan

gcallihan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have three computers, all running Windows XP Pro. Two of the computers can connect to the Internet with no problems. The third computer can share files and printers, ping the other computers, as well as ping various web sites, but it will not open any internet sites. I have tried numerous solutions to resolve this problem, and serched the Microsoft web site thoroughly, but I have not found anything that helps. The computers are set up as a workgroup, not a domain. Here is a brief list of what I have already tried:

-Bypassed the router and connected directly to the modem.
-Installed new ethernet cables and a new card.
-Installed a wireless network card
-Released and renewed the IP address.

It was suggested by my work IT guy that I have a DNS problem, but I am not sure how to diagnose and repair DNS issues.

My computers are set up side by side, so i was able to compare all the settings on the working computer to the one that is giving me trouble, and everything I have been able to check matches.

I am pulling out what little hair I have left, so any help would be great.

Edited by gcallihan, 04 February 2006 - 10:58 PM.

Advertisements

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi,
Tap F8 while restarting the computer.
Choose safe mode with networking in windows advanced menu.
check if u r able to connect or not.
if u r able to connect to internet then it might be an issue with the security settings or the internet explorer.
Disable security settings in normal mode and try or else download a different browser such as opera or mozilla.
chk out the command ftp 127.0.0.1 in command prompt.
if it replies u a socket.
then try to delete winsock folders from registry editor and reset tcp/ip with the command netsh int ip reset log.txt in command prompt.
get back to me if u r not able to connect or for further clarification

gcallihan

gcallihan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried starting in safe mode with networking, but it did not help. I also failed to mention before that I have tried using Netscape to no avail. Also, other programs that use the internet (AOL Instant messenger, Yahoo Messenger and Pokerstars.com) cannot reach the internet. I am not sure how to delete the winsock folders in regedit, so some clarification with that would be helpful, as well as any other suggestions. Thanks

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi gcallihan,

The third computer can share files and printers, ping the other computers, as well as ping various web sites, but it will not open any internet sites.

Your work IT guy was correct, this does look like a DNS translation issue. Rather than deleting the registry winsock component, you should just use WinsockFix. This will do the same thing, but it won't require you to fiddle with your registry. Once run, reboot and test your connection.

Try to connect to a website by it's IP Address -- ie: Connect to google by typing 64.233.167.99 into your Address Bar. Can you?

Check DNS Settings
1) PING YAHOO.COM

2) PING 216.109.112.135

3) Flush your DNS Cache by going to Start, Run, type CMD, and then type: IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS - press enter.

4) Start, Run, CMD - Type: nslookup yahoo.com
You should recieve a similar result to this:
Server: gizmo54ps.bigpond.com
Address: 144.140.71.29

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: yahoo.com
Addresses: 216.109.112.135, 66.94.234.13

5) If you don't, then do the following:
(Start, Run, type CMD) Type: nslookup and press enter
Type: server 144.140.71.29 and press enter
Type: nslookup yahoo.com
Now you should recieve a window exactly identical to mine..

gcallihan

gcallihan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
THANKS!! Dan!! Winsockfix repaired the problem! Now i can keep the few hairs i have left!

achilles becqx

achilles becqx

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi,
good to know ur issue is resolved
Take care :tazz: